Date:   Fri, 6 Oct 2017 13:28:10 -0400
From:   Murali Karicheri <m-karicheri2@...com>
To:     "open list:TI NETCP ETHERNET DRIVER" <netdev@...r.kernel.org>
Subject: Linux bridge of hsr and Ethernet interface. Is this valid?

Hello Linux netdev experts,

I have a board that has multiple Ethernet intefaces. two, eth0 and eth1 and 1G interfaces and two are 100M interfaces (eth2 and eth3). I create  hsr interface, hsr0 using eth2 and eth3 using ip link command. Now I want to create a linux bridge as follows:-

brctl addbr my_bridge
brctl addif eth0
brctl addif hsr0

I connect a PC to eth0 interface and another hsr compliant device to eth2 or eth3. Is it a valid scenario?

I see following description at https://wiki.linuxfoundation.org/networking/bridge where is mentioned that

=============================
Adding devices to a bridge

The command

 brctl addif //bridgename// //device//

adds the network device device to take part in the bridging of “bridgename.” All the devices contained in a bridge act as one big network. It is not possible to add a device to multiple bridges or bridge a bridge device, because it just wouldn't make any sense! The bridge will take a short amount of time when a device is added to learn the Ethernet addresses on the segment before starting to forward.

In this case hsr is already a 802.1D bridge and we are trying to bridge a bridge.

So your expert opinion is needed. Thanks.
--
Murali Karicheri
Linux Kernel, Keystone