Date:   Thu, 19 Oct 2017 12:19:42 +0000
From:   "Anders K. Pedersen | Cohaesio" <akp@...aesio.com>
To:     "pstaszewski@...are.pl" <pstaszewski@...are.pl>,
        "alexander.duyck@...il.com" <alexander.duyck@...il.com>
CC:     "netdev@...r.kernel.org" <netdev@...r.kernel.org>,
        "pavlos.parissis@...il.com" <pavlos.parissis@...il.com>,
        "intel-wired-lan@...ts.osuosl.org" <intel-wired-lan@...ts.osuosl.org>,
        "alexander.h.duyck@...el.com" <alexander.h.duyck@...el.com>
Subject: Re: Linux 4.12+ memory leak on router with i40e NICs

Hi Alex,

On ons, 2017-10-18 at 16:37 -0700, Alexander Duyck wrote:
> When we last talked I had asked if you could do a git bisect to find
> the memory leak and you said you would look into it. The most useful
> way to solve this would be to do a git bisect between your current
> kernel and the 4.11 kernel to find the point at which this started.
> If
> we can do that then fixing this becomes much simpler as we just have
> to fix the patch that introduced the issue.

We're also seeing a smaller memory leak (about 1 GB per day) than the
original one even with the "Fix memory leak related filter programming
status" fix applied. So far I've determined that the leak is present on
4.13.7 and was introduced between 4.11 and 4.12, so I'll do another
round of bisection to identify the patch that introduced this.

Since the router must run for a couple of hours before I can be sure
whether a kernel is good or bad, and I can't reboot it during working
hours, it'll probably be about a week before I have a result.

--
Venlig hilsen / Best Regards

Anders K. Pedersen
Senior Technical Manager

Cohaesio A/S                          email:  akp@...aesio.com
Parken | Per Henrik Lings Allé 4, 4   main:   +45 45 88 08 88
DK-2100 Copenhagen | Denmark          direct: +45 45 20 78 11

Visit us at www.cohaesio.com

Cohaesio is a leading IT solutions provider in Scandinavia, providing
certified IT outsourcing, service desk and managed hosting solutions to
professional customers.