Date:   Thu, 2 Nov 2017 12:08:43 +0200
From:   Sagi Grimberg <sagi@...mberg.me>
To:     Tariq Toukan <tariqt@...lanox.com>,
        Jes Sorensen <jsorensen@...com>,
        Saeed Mahameed <saeedm@....mellanox.co.il>
Cc:     Networking <netdev@...r.kernel.org>,
        Leon Romanovsky <leonro@...lanox.com>,
        Saeed Mahameed <saeedm@...lanox.com>,
        Kernel Team <kernel-team@...com>,
        Christoph Hellwig <hch@....de>,
        Thomas Gleixner <tglx@...utronix.de>
Subject: Re: mlx5 broken affinity

>>> I vaguely remember Nacking Sagi's patch as we knew it would break
>>> mlx5e netdev affinity assumptions.
> I remember that argument. Still the series found its way in.

Of course it maid its way in, it was acked by three different
maintainers, and I addressed all of Saeed's comments.

> That series moves affinity decisions to kernel's responsibility.
> AFAI see, what kernel does is assign IRQs to the NUMA's one by one in
> increasing indexing (starting with cores of NUMA #0), no matter what
> NUMA is closer to the NIC.

Well, as we said before, if there is a good argument to do the home node
first we can change the generic code (as it should be given that this is
absolutely not device specific).

> This means that if your NIC is on NUMA #1, and you reduce the number of
> channels, you might end up working only with the cores on the far NUMA.
> Not good!
We deliberated on this before, and concluded that application affinity
and device affinity are equally important. If you have a real use case
that shows otherwise, its perfectly doable to start from the device home
node.

>>> And I agree here that user should be able to read
>>> /proc/irq/x/smp_affinity and even modify it if required.
> Totally agree. We should fix that ASAP.
> User must have write access.

I'll let Thomas reply here, I do not fully understand the reason for why
pci_alloc_irq_vectors() make the affinity assignments immutable..