Date:   Mon, 20 Nov 2017 11:05:29 +0200
From:   Or Gerlitz <gerlitz.or@...il.com>
To:     Junxue ZHANG <jzhangcs@...nect.ust.hk>
Cc:     Linux Netdev List <netdev@...r.kernel.org>,
        Roi Dayan <roid@...lanox.com>,
        Saeed Mahameed <saeedm@...lanox.com>
Subject: Re: Problem of changing the inline mode or turning on the encapsulation support of Mellanox NIC’s eswitch

On Mon, Nov 20, 2017 at 5:29 AM, Junxue ZHANG <jzhangcs@...nect.ust.hk> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I encountered a problem when I tried to change the inline mode or turn on the encapsulation support of Mellanox NIC’s eswitch. I wonder if anyone could help me with this. Thanks.
>
> I want to use VXLan with OVS and try to offload the rules in hardware. I don’t know whether it is necessary to turn on the encapsulation support. It would also be of great help if anyone could tell me the correct way to accomplish that. Thanks.

Sounds good.

E-switch vxlan encapsulation offload is supported from ConnectX4-Lx
and onward (CX5, etc)

> ConnectX®-4 EN network interface card, 40GbE dual-port QSFP28, PCIe3.0 x8, tall bracket, ROHS R6

This seems to be CX4 which does not support what you are looking for,
just to be sure, send the output of "lspci -nn | grep -i mellanox"

> Problem:
> —————————
> I can successfully turned on the switchdev mode of my Mellanox NIC. But when I tried to change the inline-mode or turn on the encapsulation support, it failed.
>
> I can create VFs successfully and use those VFs with switch with link inline mode and encapsulation support off.
>
> How to reproduce:
> —————————
> Before each of the following steps, I first turn the switchdev mode off and turn on the legacy mode.
>
> 1. Change the inline mode:
>
> $ devlink dev eswitch set pci/0000:81:00.0 mode switchdev inline-mode network
> devlink answers: Invalid argument

changing inline mode is supported only when all VFs are unbinded

> 2. Turn on the encapsulation:
>
> $ devlink dev eswitch set pci/0000:81:00.0 mode switchdev encap enable
> devlink answers: Operation not supported

not supported for your HW, as I explained