Date:   Tue, 28 Nov 2017 12:04:58 +0200
From:   Arkadi Sharshevsky <arkadis@...lanox.com>
To:     David Ahern <dsa@...ulusnetworks.com>,
        Jiri Pirko <jiri@...nulli.us>, netdev@...r.kernel.org
Cc:     davem@...emloft.net, mlxsw@...lanox.com, andrew@...n.ch,
        vivien.didelot@...oirfairelinux.com, f.fainelli@...il.com,
        michael.chan@...adcom.com, ganeshgr@...lsio.com,
        saeedm@...lanox.com, matanb@...lanox.com, leonro@...lanox.com,
        idosch@...lanox.com, jakub.kicinski@...ronome.com, ast@...nel.org,
        daniel@...earbox.net, simon.horman@...ronome.com,
        pieter.jansenvanvuuren@...ronome.com, john.hurley@...ronome.com,
        alexander.h.duyck@...el.com, linville@...driver.com,
        gospo@...adcom.com, steven.lin1@...adcom.com, yuvalm@...lanox.com,
        ogerlitz@...lanox.com, roopa@...ulusnetworks.com
Subject: Re: [patch net-next RFC v2 08/11] mlxsw: spectrum_dpipe: Connect
 dpipe tables to resources

On 11/27/2017 06:12 PM, David Ahern wrote:
> On 11/23/17 6:40 AM, Arkadi Sharshevsky wrote:

>>> 'IPv4 host' yes, but I mean the term 'KVD hash single'? Is it the same
>>> across all h/w vendors? I have only seen that in the context of MLX. If
>>> it is a MLX term then a description to the user that KVD hash single ==
>>> IPv4 host is warranted.
>>>

>> But this relation is wrong, there is no equality here. The LPM, FDB and
>> VID to FID mapping are all can be modeled as lookup tables (via dpipe)
>> that use KVD hash single resource.
>>
>> This description string will grow very long. I dont think this is the
>> right place to document such thing, eitherway, the user can dump the
>> dpipe tables and see which is mapped to what resource.
>
> Users should not have to find a PRM or user guide for *each version of
> their hardware* to program something so fundamental. This is software.

I still don't understand, you can dump the dpipe table to see which
tables use which resource. Why I need this redundant documentation string
in the kernel?

> We can make it user friendly. Use of vendor specific terms is fine --
> allows correlation to vendor docs. But there should also be text to help

IMHO such documentation strings should not be in the kernel.

> the user correlate vendor terms to generic industry terms.

Really you want to add DEVLINK_RESOURCE_DESCRIPTION string attributed?
"
Used by the following hardware tables
- VID-to-FID
- LPM
- FDB
- HOST
"

Again I think it is redundant, just dump those tables. No need to use
user-guides nor PRM.