Date:   Thu, 30 Nov 2017 15:54:40 +0200
From:   "Michael S. Tsirkin" <mst@...hat.com>
To:     Jakub Kicinski <jakub.kicinski@...ronome.com>
Cc:     Jason Wang <jasowang@...hat.com>,
        Jesse Brandeburg <jesse.brandeburg@...el.com>,
        virtualization@...ts.linux-foundation.org,
        Sridhar Samudrala <sridhar.samudrala@...el.com>,
        Achiad <achiad@...lanox.com>,
        Peter Waskiewicz Jr <peter.waskiewicz.jr@...el.com>,
        "Singhai, Anjali" <anjali.singhai@...el.com>,
        Andy Gospodarek <gospo@...adcom.com>,
        Or Gerlitz <gerlitz.or@...il.com>,
        netdev <netdev@...r.kernel.org>,
        Hannes Frederic Sowa <hannes@...essinduktion.org>
Subject: Re: [RFC] virtio-net: help live migrate SR-IOV devices

On Wed, Nov 29, 2017 at 07:51:38PM -0800, Jakub Kicinski wrote:
> [...]
> > > path, and fall back to virtio's transmit/receive when migrating.
> > >
> > > Compared to today's options this proposal would
> > > 1) make virtio-net more sticky, allow fast path traffic at SR-IOV
> > >     speeds
> > > 2) simplify end user configuration in the VM (most if not all of the
> > >     set up to enable migration would be done in the hypervisor)
> > > 3) allow live migration via a simple link down and maybe a PCI
> > >     hot-unplug of the SR-IOV device, with failover to the virtio-net
> > >     driver core
> > > 4) allow vendor agnostic hardware acceleration, and live migration
> > >     between vendors if the VM os has driver support for all the required
> > >     SR-IOV devices.
> > >
> > > Runtime operation proposed:
> > > - <in either order> virtio-net driver loads, SR-IOV driver loads
> > > - virtio-net finds other NICs that match it's MAC address by
> > >    both examining existing interfaces, and sets up a new device notifier
> > > - virtio-net enslaves the first NIC with the same MAC address
> > > - virtio-net brings up the slave, and makes it the "preferred" path
> > > - virtio-net follows the behavior of an active backup bond/team
> > > - virtio-net acts as the interface to the VM
> > > - live migration initiates
> > > - link goes down on SR-IOV, or SR-IOV device is removed
> > > - failover to virtio-net as primary path
> > > - migration continues to new host
> > > - new host is started with virio-net as primary
> > > - if no SR-IOV, virtio-net stays primary
> > > - hypervisor can hot-add SR-IOV NIC, with same MAC addr as virtio
> > > - virtio-net notices new NIC and starts over at enslave step above
> > >
> > > Future ideas (brainstorming):
> > > - Optimize Fast east-west by having special rules to direct east-west
> > >    traffic through virtio-net traffic path
> > >
> > > Thanks for reading!
> > > Jesse
> >
> > Cc netdev.
> >
> > Interesting, and this method is actually used by netvsc now:
> >
> > commit 0c195567a8f6e82ea5535cd9f1d54a1626dd233e
> > Author: stephen hemminger <stephen@...workplumber.org>
> > Date:   Tue Aug 1 19:58:53 2017 -0700
> >
> >      netvsc: transparent VF management
> >
> >      This patch implements transparent fail over from synthetic NIC to
> >      SR-IOV virtual function NIC in Hyper-V environment. It is a better
> >      alternative to using bonding as is done now. Instead, the receive and
> >      transmit fail over is done internally inside the driver.
> >
> >      Using bonding driver has lots of issues because it depends on the
> >      script being run early enough in the boot process and with sufficient
> >      information to make the association. This patch moves all that
> >      functionality into the kernel.
> >
> >      Signed-off-by: Stephen Hemminger <sthemmin@...rosoft.com>
> >      Signed-off-by: David S. Miller <davem@...emloft.net>
> >
> > If my understanding is correct there's no need to for any extension of
> > virtio spec. If this is true, maybe you can start to prepare the patch?
>
> IMHO this is as close to policy in the kernel as one can get.  User
> land has all the information it needs to instantiate that bond/team

It does have this info (MAC addresses match) but where's the policy
here? IMHO the policy has been set by the hypervisor already.
>From hypervisor POV adding passthrough is a commitment not to migrate
until guest stops using the passthrough device.

Within the guest, the bond is required for purely functional reasons - just to
maintain a link up since we know SRIOV will will go away. Maintaining an
uninterrupted connection is not a policy - it's what networking is
about.

>  In fact I'm trying to discuss this with NetworkManager
> folks and Red Hat right now:
>
> https://mail.gnome.org/archives/networkmanager-list/2017-November/msg00038.html

I thought we should do it too, for a while.

But now, I think that the real issue is this: kernel exposes what looks
like two network devices to userspace, but in fact it is just one
backend device, just exposed by hypervisor in a weird way for
compatibility reasons.

For example you will not get a better reliability or throughput by using
both of them - the only bonding mode that makes sense is fail over. As
another example, if the underlying physical device lost its link, trying
to use virtio won't help - it's only useful when the passthrough device
is gone for good.  As another example, there is no point in not
configuring a bond. As a last example, depending on how the backend is
configured, virtio might not even work when the pass-through device is
active.

So from that point of view, showing two network devices to userspace is
a bug that we are asking userspace to work around.

> Can we flip the argument and ask why is the kernel supposed to be
> responsible for this?

Because if we show a single device to userspace the number of
misconfigured guests will go down, and we won't lose any useful
flexibility.

>  It's not like we run DHCP out of the kernel
> on new interfaces...

Because one can set up a static IP, IPv6 doesn't always need DHCP, etc.

--
MST