Date:   Mon, 4 Dec 2017 08:30:30 -0800
From:   Alexander Duyck <alexander.duyck@...il.com>
To:     achiad shochat <achiad.mellanox@...il.com>
Cc:     Stephen Hemminger <stephen@...workplumber.org>,
        "Michael S. Tsirkin" <mst@...hat.com>,
        Jakub Kicinski <jakub.kicinski@...ronome.com>,
        Hannes Frederic Sowa <hannes@...hat.com>,
        Sridhar Samudrala <sridhar.samudrala@...el.com>,
        netdev <netdev@...r.kernel.org>,
        virtualization@...ts.linux-foundation.org,
        Achiad <achiad@...lanox.com>,
        Peter Waskiewicz Jr <peter.waskiewicz.jr@...el.com>,
        "Singhai, Anjali" <anjali.singhai@...el.com>,
        Shannon Nelson <shannon.nelson@...cle.com>,
        Andy Gospodarek <gospo@...adcom.com>,
        Or Gerlitz <gerlitz.or@...il.com>
Subject: Re: [RFC] virtio-net: help live migrate SR-IOV devices

On Mon, Dec 4, 2017 at 1:51 AM, achiad shochat
<achiad.mellanox@...il.com> wrote:
> On 3 December 2017 at 19:35, Stephen Hemminger
> <stephen@...workplumber.org> wrote:
>> On Sun, 3 Dec 2017 11:14:37 +0200
>> achiad shochat <achiad.mellanox@...il.com> wrote:

>>> Can someone please explain why assume a virtio device is there at all??
>>> I specified a case where there isn't any.

Migrating without any virtual device is going to be extremely
challenging, especially in any kind of virtualization setup where the
hosts are not homogeneous. By providing a virtio interface you can
guarantee that at least 1 network interface is available on any given
host, and then fail over to that as the least common denominator for
any migration.

>>> I second Jacob - having a netdev of one device driver enslave a netdev
>>> of another device driver is an awkward a-symmetric model.
>>> Regardless of whether they share the same backend device.
>>> Only I am not sure the Linux Bond is the right choice.
>>> e.g one may well want to use the virtio device also when the
>>> pass-through device is available, e.g for multicasts, east-west
>>> traffic, etc.
>>> I'm not sure the Linux Bond fits that functionality.
>>> And, as I hear in this thread, it is hard to make it work out of the box.
>>> So I think the right thing would be to write a new dedicated module
>>> for this purpose.

This part I can sort of agree with. What if we were to look at
providing a way to somehow advertise that the two devices were meant
to be boded for virtualization purposes? For now lets call it a
"virt-bond". Basically we could look at providing a means for virtio
and VF drivers to advertise that they want this sort of bond. Then it
would just be a matter of providing some sort of side channel to
indicate where you want things like multicast/broadcast/east-west
traffic to go.

>>> Re policy -
>>> Indeed the HV can request a policy from the guest but that's not a
>>> claim for the virtio device enslaving the pass-through device.
>>> Any policy can be queried by the upper enslaving device.
>>>
>>> Bottom line - I do not see a single reason to have the virtio netdev
>>> (nor netvsc or any other PV netdev) enslave another netdev by itself.
>>> If we'd do it right with netvsc from the beginning we wouldn't need
>>> this discussion at all...
>>
>> There are several issues with transparent migration.
>> The first is that the SR-IOV device needs to be shut off for earlier
>> in the migration process.
>
> That's not a given fact.
> It's due to the DMA and it should be solve anyway.
> Please read my first reply in this thread.

For now it is a fact. We would need to do a drastic rewrite of the DMA
API in the guest/host/QEMU/IOMMU in order to avoid it for now. So as a
first step I would say we should look at using this bonding type
solution. Being able to defer the VF eviction could be a next step for
all this as it would allow for much better performance, but we still
have too many cases where the VF might not be there after a migration.

>> Next, the SR-IOV device in the migrated go guest environment maybe different.
>> It might not exist at all, it might be at a different PCI address, or it
>> could even be a different vendor/speed/model.
>> Keeping a virtual network device around allows persisting the connectivity,
>> during the process.
>
> Right, but that virtual device must not relate to any para-virt
> specific technology (not netvsc, nor virtio).
> Again, it seems you did not read my first reply.

I would agree with the need to make this agnostic. Maybe we could look
at the current netvsc solution and find a way to make it generic so it
could be applied to any combination of paravirtual interface and PF.