Date:   Thu, 7 Dec 2017 13:52:11 -0800
From:   Alexander Duyck <alexander.duyck@...il.com>
To:     Shannon Nelson <shannon.nelson@...cle.com>
Cc:     intel-wired-lan <intel-wired-lan@...ts.osuosl.org>,
        Jeff Kirsher <jeffrey.t.kirsher@...el.com>,
        Steffen Klassert <steffen.klassert@...unet.com>,
        Sowmini Varadhan <sowmini.varadhan@...cle.com>,
        Netdev <netdev@...r.kernel.org>
Subject: Re: [Intel-wired-lan] [next-queue 06/10] ixgbe: restore offloaded SAs
 after a reset

On Thu, Dec 7, 2017 at 10:47 AM, Shannon Nelson
<shannon.nelson@...cle.com> wrote:
> On 12/7/2017 9:16 AM, Alexander Duyck wrote:
>>
>> On Wed, Dec 6, 2017 at 9:43 PM, Shannon Nelson
>> <shannon.nelson@...cle.com> wrote:

> <snip>

>>> Currently ixgbe_ipsec_clear_hw_tables() only gets run at at probe.  It
>>> should probably get run at remove as well.  Doing this is a bit of safety
>>> paranoia, and making sure the CAM memory structures that don't get
>>> cleared
>>> on reset have exactly what I expect in them.
>>

>> You might just move ixgbe_ipsec_clear_hw_tables into the rest logic
>> itself. Then it covers all cases where you would be resetting the
>> hardware and expecting a consistent state. It will mean writing some
>> registers twice during the reset but it is probably better just to
>> make certain everything stays in a known good state after a reset.
>

> If it is a small number, e.g. 10 or 20, then you may be right.  However,
> given we have table space for 2k different SAs, at 6 writes per Tx SA and 10
> writes per Rx SA, plus 128 IP address with 4 writes each, we are already
> looking at 17K writes already to be sure the tables are clean.
>
> Unfortunately, I don't really know what a "typical" case will be, so I don't
> know how many SA we may be offloading at any one time.  But in a busy cloud
> support server, we might have nearly full tables.  If we do the full clean
> first, then have to fill all the tables, we're now looking at up to 35k
> writes slowing down the reset process.
>
> I'd rather keep it to the constant 17K writes for now, and look later at
> using the VALID bit in the IPSRXMOD to see if we can at least cut down on
> the Rx writes.
>
> sln

The reads/writes themselves should be cheap. These kind of things only
get to be really expensive when you start looking at adding delays in
between the writes/reads polling on things. As long as we aren't
waiting milliseconds on things you can write/read thousands of
registers and not even notice it.

One thing you might look at doing in order to speed some of this up a
bit would be to also combine updating the Tx SA and Rx SA in your
clear_hw_tables loop so that you could do them in parallel in your
loop instead of having to do them in series. Anyway it is just a
thought. If nothing else you might look at timing the function to see
how long it actually takes. I suspect it shouldn't be too long since
the turnaround time on the PCIe bus should be in microseconds so odds
are reading/writing 35K registers might ovinly add a few milliseconds
to total reset time.