Date:   Mon, 18 Dec 2017 14:47:45 +0100
From:   Mylene JOSSERAND <mylene.josserand@...e-electrons.com>
To:     Jes Sorensen <jes.sorensen@...il.com>
Cc:     kvalo@...eaurora.org, linux-wireless@...r.kernel.org,
        netdev@...r.kernel.org,
        Thomas Petazzoni <thomas.petazzoni@...e-electrons.com>,
        Maxime Ripard <maxime.ripard@...e-electrons.com>
Subject: Re: Wifi RTL8723bu driver test: failed to scan

Hello Jes,

Le Tue, 28 Nov 2017 11:14:10 -0500,
Jes Sorensen <jes.sorensen@...il.com> a écrit :

> On 11/22/2017 04:51 AM, Mylene JOSSERAND wrote:
> > Hello Jes Sorensen,
> >
> > I am currently testing a LM811 Wifi/BT USB dongle [1] on a Sinlinx
> > SinA33 Allwinner SoC board [2]. I saw that I should use the realtek
> > driver RTL8723BU for this USB dongle.
> >
> > Currently, I am only testing the Wifi and the mainline driver (kernel
> > 4.14-rc7) does not seem to work. At least, the scanning does not output
> > anything.
> >
> > I tested the driver recommended by LM Technologies [3] and it works
> > fine (scan, connect and ping are ok). Before investigating on the
> > differences between these two drivers, do you have any idea about this
> > issue?
> >
> > Here are the commands and output I got with mainline's driver:
>
> I have not looked at the driver these LM Technologies people are
> referring to, but I am guessing it's the vendor code.
>
> 8723bu is a little dicey because it has BT in the chip and if you enable
> that the two drivers need to interact, which rtl8xxxu currently doesn't
> know about. Check your dmesg output to make sure you don't have some BT
> thing loaded hijacking the chip.

I finally tested it again without any BT stuff enabled and I am still
not having any output on scanning.

I added DEBUG support to have all dev_dbg outputs for rtl8xxxu (core
and 8723b). Here is the log of boot and different iw commands:

http://code.bulix.org/56345t-242970?raw

Do you have any idea/hint to give me?
I checked the firmware: I am using the last one from linux-firmware's
repository. Have you already tried this chip? With which firmware?

Thank you very much for any help.

Best regards,

--
Mylène Josserand, Free Electrons