Date:   Tue, 19 Dec 2017 14:00:03 -0800
From:   Steve Ibanez <sibanez@...nford.edu>
To:     Neal Cardwell <ncardwell@...gle.com>
Cc:     Eric Dumazet <edumazet@...gle.com>,
        Yuchung Cheng <ycheng@...gle.com>,
        Daniel Borkmann <daniel@...earbox.net>,
        Netdev <netdev@...r.kernel.org>, Florian Westphal <fw@...len.de>,
        Mohammad Alizadeh <alizadeh@...il.mit.edu>,
        Lawrence Brakmo <brakmo@...com>
Subject: Re: Linux ECN Handling

Hi Neal,

I managed to track down the code path that the unACKed CWR packet is
taking. The tcp_rcv_established() function calls tcp_ack_snd_check()
at the end of step5 and then the return statement indicated below is
invoked, which prevents the __tcp_ack_snd_check() function from
running.

static inline void tcp_ack_snd_check(struct sock *sk)
{
        if (!inet_csk_ack_scheduled(sk)) {
                /* We sent a data segment already. */
                return;   /* <=== here */
        }
        __tcp_ack_snd_check(sk, 1);
}

So somehow tcp_ack_snd_check() thinks that a data segment was already
sent when in fact it wasn't. Do you see a way around this issue?

Thanks,
-Steve