Date:   Tue, 30 Jan 2018 14:38:38 -0800
From:   Alexander Duyck <alexander.duyck@...il.com>
To:     "Keller, Jacob E" <jacob.e.keller@...el.com>
Cc:     Shannon Nelson <shannon.nelson@...cle.com>,
        "Duyck, Alexander H" <alexander.h.duyck@...el.com>
Subject: Re: macvlan devices and vlan interaction

On Tue, Jan 30, 2018 at 2:20 PM, Keller, Jacob E
<jacob.e.keller@...el.com> wrote:
> [...]

The thing you have to then watch out for is how something like this
would impact bonding or bridging since both of those use the Rx
handler as well from my understanding. I suppose it would make sense
though to do Rx handler first and then VLAN since the Rx handler
should be placed on the VLAN itself if you are
bridging/bonding/macvlan over a VLAN versus the reverse.

> In the first case, the macvlan isn't directly attached to the lowerdev, so we'd do VLAN filtering first, and then the VLAN would check MAC address.

Right, that bit works without any issues.

> In the second case, even if lowerdev also had the VLAN, we'd do macvlan filtering first, and things would work.

That piece makes sense, at least for macvlan.

> Both the lowerdev VLAN and upperdev macvlan should receive traffic correctly in this case.
>
> I think this resolves the problem of which device goes to which VLAN.

Right, this works for macvlan. The only concern I have then is bond
and bridging. It is probably fine but it wouldn't hurt to check.

> I don't know if it resolves the issues with leaked VLANs, where a VLAN added to the macvlan device causes traffic for that VLAN to be received by all the MAC addresses of the lowerdev...
>
> I suppose this might not be considered a problem? The traffic could be received either way if you're in promiscuous mode. It's not like we have a sense of "trusted" configuration either.
>
> I think some separate work for the case of macvlan on top of VLAN on top of lower dev can be done as well, to enable offloading in this case. I'll have some more thoughts on that soon.
>
> Thanks,
> Jake

So the issue with all of this apears to be:

commit 2425717b27eb92b175335ca4ff0bb218cbe0cb64