Date:   Tue, 30 Jan 2018 12:49:23 -0800
From:   Alexander Duyck <alexander.duyck@...il.com>
To:     Shannon Nelson <shannon.nelson@...cle.com>
Cc:     "Keller, Jacob E" <jacob.e.keller@...el.com>,
        "Duyck, Alexander H" <alexander.h.duyck@...el.com>
Subject: Re: macvlan devices and vlan interaction

On Tue, Jan 30, 2018 at 12:29 PM, Shannon Nelson
<shannon.nelson@...cle.com> wrote:
> [...]
>> macvlan0@...0
>> ens0
>>
>> bvlan10@...vlan1
>> macvlan1@...0
>> ens0
>>
>> In this case, it does appear that traffic is sorted out correctly. It
>> seems that only if the lowerdev gets the VLAN does it end up breaking. If I
>> remove bvlan10 from macvlan1, the traffic associated with vlan10 is still
>> received by macvlan1, even though in principle it should no longer be.
>>
>> What is the correct behavior here? Should this just be "administrators
>> should know better"? I don't think that's a great argument, and either way
>> we're still essentially leaking VLANs across the macvlan interfaces, which I
>> don't think is ideal.
>>
>> I see two possible solutions:
>>
>> 1) modify macvlan driver so that it is marked as VLAN_CHALLENGED, and thus
>> indicate it cannot handle VLAN traffic on top of it.
>>    a. In order to get the VLANs associated, administrator could instead
>> add the VLAN first, and then add the macvlan on top. This I think is a
>> better configuration.
>>    b. that doesn't work in the offload case, unless/until we fix the VLAN
>> interface to forward the l2_dfwd_add_station() along with a vid.
>>    c. this could appear as loss of functionality, since in some cases
>> these VLAN on top of macvlan work today (with the interesting caveats listed
>> above).
>>
>> 2) modify how VLANs interact with MAC addresses, so that the lowerdev can
>> explicitly be aware of which VLANs are tied to which address groups, in
>> order to allow for the explicit configuration of which MAC+VLAN pairs are
>> actually allowed.
>>    a. this is a much more invasive change to driver interface, and more
>> difficult to get right
>>    b. possibly other configurations of stacked devices might have a
>> similar problem, so we could solve more here? Or create more problems.. I'm
>> not really certain.
>>

>> I think the correct solution is (1) but I wasn't sure what others thought,
>> and whether anyone else has encountered the problems I mention and outline
>> above. I cc'd Alex who I discussed with offline when I first heard of and
>> began investigating this, in case he has anything further to add.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Jake
>>

> Hi Jake,
>
> The current behavior seems logical to me, but I suppose Alex might argue
> differently.  The macvlan was put onto the default lowerdev assuming the
> lowerdev will hand it all the default traffic, and then the macvlan splits
> out its own vlan traffic.  As soon as the lowerdev assumption changes, it is
> going to change what gets pushed up to the macvlan dev. If the lowerdev is
> separating the vlan traffic out of the "default" flow headed to the macvlan,
> then the initial assumption has changed and the vlan traffic has been
> vectored off before it can be delivered up the stack to the macvlan.

It depends on what your goal is. In my mind making macvlan VLAN
challenged is the easier solution since you just have to add some
pass-thru ops to the VLAN drivers and you can guarantee that you are
passing MAC-VLAN pair for each address on the interface for the call.
The alternative gets to be a bit more complex since it requires
multiple rules, one for non-tagged and one per VLAN for tagged
traffic.

> There's an argument that the lowerdev shouldn't know anything about the
> upperdev's routing, just deliver to the upperdev and let the upperdev worry
> about it.  But perhaps this becomes is a question of precedence: does the
> lowerdev split traffic first by mac address or by vlan tag.

That is where things get messy. We found it splits by VLAN tag if the
VLAN is present on the lowerdev, or it splits by MAC if it is not.
That is why as Jake pointed out adding the VLAN to the lower dev
causes issues.

> I don't like your option 1: as you point out, it breaks current
> functionality, likely depended upon in some containers that are using
> macvlans to manage their traffic.  We don't know what's going on inside that
> container and I don't think we want to break its ability to split its own
> vlans.

Maybe we should look at an option 1.5. Mark the lowerdev as VLAN
challenged if any macvlan is operating with any VLANs enabled on it
since we can only really allow VLAN filtering to occur at one level
reliably. Either that or maybe we look at making VLANs and rx_handler
setups mutually exclusive.

> Like I said, I think the current behavior is mostly correct, but a version
> of option 2 might be good to help support offload of the mac+vlan pair into
> a macvlan channel.

The only issue is I am not completely sure how option 2 solves the
original issue. Yes it makes the filtering more explicit, but the
network stack is still filtering VLANs before we get to the rx_handler
calls, or is this a fix that works for the offloaded approach only and
doesn't address the issues in the non-offloaded case? It's also
possible I might have missed something.

- Alex