Date:   Tue, 13 Mar 2018 15:47:47 -0700
From:   Eric Dumazet <eric.dumazet@...il.com>
To:     Yonghong Song <yhs@...com>,
        Steffen Klassert <steffen.klassert@...unet.com>,
        Eric Dumazet <eric.dumazet@...il.com>
Cc:     Daniel Borkmann <daniel@...earbox.net>,
        Alexei Starovoitov <ast@...com>,
        netdev <netdev@...r.kernel.org>, Martin Lau <kafai@...com>,
        saeedm@...lanox.com, diptanu@...com
Subject: Re: BUG_ON triggered in skb_segment

On 03/13/2018 03:37 PM, Yonghong Song wrote:
> Adding additional cc's:
>    Saeed Mahameed as this is most likely mlx5 driver related.
>    Diptanu Gon Choudhury who initially reported the issue.
>

> On 3/13/18 1:44 AM, Steffen Klassert wrote:

>> Just out of curiosity, are these packets created with LRO or GRO?
>> Usually LRO is disabled if forwarding is enabled on a machine,
>> because segmented LGO packets are likely corrupt.
>
> In our experiments, LRO is disabled.
> On mlx5, when GRO is on, the BUG_ON will happen, and
> when GRO is off, the BUG_ON will not happen.
>

>> These packets take an alternative redirect path, so not sure what
>> happens here.

>>> As I said this  helper ends up modifying gso_size by +/- 20 (sizeof(ipv6
>>> header) - sizeof(ipv4 header))
>>>
>>> So it wont work if skb_segment() is called after this change.
>>
>> Even HW TSO use gso_size to segment the packets. Would'nt this
>> result in broken packets too, if gso_size is modified on a
>> forwarding path?
>>

>>> Not clear why the GRO packet is not sent as is (as a TSO packet) since
>>> mlx4/mlx5 NICs certainly support TSO.
>
> This is a very good observation.
> We did the same experiment on mlx4, the same kernel, the same userspace
> apps, the same bpf program. The only difference is mlx4 vs. mlx5.
> The mlx4 works fine with LRO=off and GRO=on, while
> mlx5 failed with the same LRO/GRO configuration.
>
> On mlx4 box, we are able to see TSO packets are increasing as the
> large file scp is in progress.
> # ethtool -S eth0 | grep tso
>       tso_packets: 45495
> # ethtool -S eth0 | grep tso
>       tso_packets: 45865
> # ethtool -S eth0 | grep tso
>       tso_packets: 46337
> # ethtool -S eth0 | grep tso
>       tso_packets: 46724
>
> And use bcc tool to track to func call count for skb_segment
> and find it is called 0 times. Clearly, mlx4 is able to take
> the packet as TSO and hence the packet will not go to
> the stack.
>
> # funccount.py -i 3 'skb_segment'
> Tracing 1 functions for "skb_segment"... Hit Ctrl-C to end.
>
> FUNC                                    COUNT
>
> FUNC                                    COUNT
>
> CC Saeed Mahameed who may help debug and provide some insights
> what is the problem.

There are many reasons why a GRO packet might need to be segmented by
software (skb_segment())

This is the step where you have crashes, so really mlx4/mlx5 difference
do not matter.

gso_size should not be dynamically changed. This needs to be fixed in
eBPF helpers eventually.

Traditionally, NAT might involve changing MSS option in TCP SYN and
SYNACK ...

(This to avoid dropping too big packets, when the total size of a
segment is increased by 20 bytes when converting IPV4 header to IPV6 one)

In the opposite direction, packet size is reduced by 20 bytes, so MSS
can be left as is.