Date:   Sat, 17 Mar 2018 23:12:33 +0100
From:   "Frantisek Rysanek" <Frantisek.Rysanek@...t.cz>
To:     Andrew Lunn <andrew@...n.ch>, netdev@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: HW question: i210 vs. BCM5461S over SGMII: no response from PHY to MDIO requests?

> > > Right now I've modded igb_init_i2c() to engage the bit-banging
> > > i2c driver for the i210 too
> >
> > I don't think that will work. The datasheet for the i210 talks about
> > two registers for I2C/MDIO which are not bit-banging. Only the i350
> > uses bit-banging.
> >
> From the i210 datasheet, page 477:
> chapter 8.17.9 "SFP I2C Parameters" - reg. I2CPARAMS (0x102C; R/W)
> bit 8 "I2CBB_EN" = I2C bit-bang enable.
> And about 6 more bits for SDA and SCL direction, input and output.
> Looking through existing code of the bit-banging callbacks for i350,
> their function would seem identical between the i210 and i350.
> I may check the bit definition macros again, if the scope shows
> nothing.

Sure enough, the I2C port works in bit-banging mode, even without a
semaphore. Screenshot attached.
I'm not getting an ACK from the SFP, probably because I've got the
address and offset wrong and because I'd better use indirect access.
There's some more work awaiting me...
God knows if this is going to be any use :-)

Frank