Date:   Fri, 6 Apr 2018 05:01:29 -0700
From:   Eric Dumazet <eric.dumazet@...il.com>
To:     Michal Kubecek <mkubecek@...e.cz>, netdev@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: TCP one-by-one acking - RFC interpretation question

On 04/06/2018 03:05 AM, Michal Kubecek wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I encountered a strange behaviour of some (non-linux) TCP stack which
> I believe is incorrect but support engineers from the company producing
> it claim is OK.
>
> Assume a client (sender, Linux 4.4 kernel) sends a stream of MSS sized
> segments but segments 2, 4 and 6 do not reach the server (receiver):
>
>          ACK             SAK             SAK             SAK
>       +-------+-------+-------+-------+-------+-------+-------+
>       |   1   |   2   |   3   |   4   |   5   |   6   |   7   |
>       +-------+-------+-------+-------+-------+-------+-------+
>     34273   35701   37129   38557   39985   41413   42841   44269
>
> When segment 2 is retransmitted after RTO timeout, normal response would
> be ACK-ing segment 3 (38557) with SACK for 5 and 7 (39985-41413 and
> 42841-44269).
>
> However, this server stack responds with two separate ACKs:
>
>   - ACK 37129, SACK 37129-38557 39985-41413 42841-44269
>   - ACK 38557, SACK 39985-41413 42841-44269

Hmmm... Yes this seems very very wrong and lazy.

Have you verified behavior of more recent linux kernel to such threats ?

packetdrill test would be relatively easy to write.

Regardless of this broken alien stack, we might be able to work around this faster
than the vendor is able to fix and deploy a new stack.

( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robustness_principle )
Be conservative in what you do, be liberal in what you accept from others...