Date:   Fri, 13 Apr 2018 07:37:47 -0400
From:   Neil Horman <nhorman@...driver.com>
To:     Dmitry Vyukov <dvyukov@...gle.com>
Cc:     Tommi Rantala <tommi.t.rantala@...ia.com>,
        Xin Long <lucien.xin@...il.com>,
        David Ahern <dsahern@...il.com>,
        Daniel Borkmann <daniel@...earbox.net>,
        Cong Wang <xiyou.wangcong@...il.com>,
        David Miller <davem@...emloft.net>,
        Eric Dumazet <edumazet@...gle.com>,
        Willem de Bruijn <willemb@...gle.com>,
        Jakub Kicinski <jakub.kicinski@...ronome.com>,
        Rasmus Villemoes <linux@...musvillemoes.dk>,
        netdev <netdev@...r.kernel.org>,
        LKML <linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org>,
        Alexey Kuznetsov <kuznet@....inr.ac.ru>,
        Hideaki YOSHIFUJI <yoshfuji@...ux-ipv6.org>,
        syzkaller <syzkaller@...glegroups.com>,
        Dan Streetman <ddstreet@...onical.com>,
        "Eric W. Biederman" <ebiederm@...ssion.com>,
        Alexey Kodanev <alexey.kodanev@...cle.com>,
        Marcelo Ricardo Leitner <marcelo.leitner@...il.com>,
        linux-sctp@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: net: hang in unregister_netdevice: waiting for lo to become free

On Thu, Apr 12, 2018 at 02:15:30PM +0200, Dmitry Vyukov wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 21, 2018 at 3:53 PM, Tommi Rantala
> <tommi.t.rantala@...ia.com> wrote:

> >> Can you write a systemtap script to probe dev_hold, and dev_put, printing
> >> out a
> >> backtrace if the device name matches "lo".  That should tell us
> >> definitively if
> >> the problem is in the same location or not
> >

> > Hi Dmitry, I tested with the reproducer and the kernel .config file that you
> > sent in the first email in this thread:
> >
> > With 4.16-rc2 unable to reproduce.
> >
> > With 4.15-rc9 bug reproducible, and I get "unregister_netdevice: waiting for
> > lo to become free. Usage count = 3"
> >
> > With 4.15-rc9 and Alexey's "sctp: fix dst refcnt leak in sctp_v6_get_dst()"
> > cherry-picked on top, unable to reproduce.
> >

> > Is syzkaller doing something else now to trigger the bug...?
> > Can you still trigger the bug with the same reproducer?
>
> Hi Neil, Tommi,
>
> Reviving this old thread about "unregister_netdevice: waiting for lo
> to become free. Usage count = 3" hangs.
> I still did not have time to deep dive into what happens there (too
> many bugs coming from syzbot). But this still actively happens and I
> suspect accounts to a significant portion of various hang reports,
> which are quite unpleasant.
>
> One idea that could make it all simpler:
>
> Is this wait loop in netdev_wait_allrefs() supposed to wait for any
> prolonged periods of time under any non-buggy conditions? E.g. more
> than 1-2 minutes?
As the name implies, its supposed to wait for the reference count to be zero
indefinately, but yes, under normal operation, its intended to not have to wait
very long at all.  The issuance of the NETDEV_UNREGISTER_FINAL notification is
meant to be a subscribable signal to any code path holding a reference that it
needs to be dropped so that the progress can be made.

Note that the "waiting for %s to become free" message is triggered after 10
seconds of waiting, and is likely the trigger you want, Its just an emergency
level log message rather a WARN.  I don't think we want to change that
permanently, but you could certainly alter it in the code to cause syzbot to
catch it (i.e. WARN_ON(time_after(jiffies, warning_time + 10 * HZ)) )

> If it only supposed to wait briefly for things that already supposed
> to be shutting down, and we add a WARNING there after some timeout,
> then syzbot will report all info how/when it happens, hopefully
> extracting reproducers, and all the nice things.
> But this WARNING should not have any false positives under any
> realistic conditions (e.g. waiting for arrival of remote packets with
> large timeouts).
>
> Looking at some task hung reports, it seems that this code holds some
> mutexes, takes workqueue thread and prevents any progress with
> destruction of other devices (and net namespace creation/destruction),
> so I guess it should not wait for any indefinite periods of time?
Well, it drops everything and sleeps periodically, so its safe in and of itself.
The problem is its waiting for the reference count of a device to drop to zero,
and some other execution context isn't taking the appropriate action to do that.

Neil