Date:   Wed, 2 May 2018 11:05:19 +0900
From:   Lorenzo Colitti <lorenzo@...gle.com>
To:     Alexei Starovoitov <alexei.starovoitov@...il.com>
Cc:     Chenbo Feng <fengc@...gle.com>, netdev@...r.kernel.org,
        Daniel Borkmann <daniel@...earbox.net>,
        Joel Fernandes <joelaf@...gle.com>
Subject: Re: Suggestions on iterating eBPF maps

On Sat, Apr 28, 2018 at 10:04 AM, Alexei Starovoitov
<alexei.starovoitov@...il.com> wrote:
> Another approach could be to use map-in-map and have almost atomic
> replace of the whole map with new potentially empty map. The prog
> can continue using the new map, while user space walks no longer
> accessed old map.

That sounds like a promising approach. I assume this would be
functionally equivalent to an approach where there is a map containing
a boolean that says whether to write to map A or map B? We'd then do
the following:

0. Kernel program is writing to map A.
1. Userspace pushes config that says to write to map B.
2. Kernel program starts to write to map B.
3. Userspace scans map A, collecting stats and deleting everything it finds.

One problem with this is: if the effects of #1 are not immediately
visible to the programs running on all cores, the program could still
be writing to map A and the deletes in #3 would result in loss of
data. Are there any guarantees around this? I know that hash map
writes are atomic, but I'm not aware of any other guarantees here. Are
there memory barriers around map writes and reads?

In the absence of guarantees, userspace could put a sleep between #1
and #3 and things would be correct Most Of The Time(TM), but if the
kernel is busy doing other things that might not be sufficient.
Thoughts?