Date:   Thu, 5 Jul 2018 17:10:15 +0100
From:   Daniel P. Berrangé <berrange@...hat.com>
To:     Jason Baron <jbaron@...mai.com>
Cc:     "netdev@...r.kernel.org" <netdev@...r.kernel.org>,
        "David S. Miller" <davem@...emloft.net>, libvir-list@...hat.com,
        rmohr@...hat.com, Fabian Deutsch <fdeutsch@...hat.com>,
        "Eric W. Biederman" <ebiederm@...ssion.com>
Subject: Re: opening tap devices that are created in a container

On Thu, Jul 05, 2018 at 10:20:16AM -0400, Jason Baron wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Opening tap devices, such as macvtap, that are created in containers is
> problematic because the interface for opening tap devices is via
> /dev/tapNN and devtmpfs is not typically mounted inside a container as
> its not namespace aware. It is possible to do a mknod() in the
> container, once the tap devices are created, however, since the tap
> devices are created dynamically its not possible to apriori allow access
> to certain major/minor numbers, since we don't know what these are going
> to be. In addition, its desirable to not allow the mknod capability in
> containers. This behavior, I think is somewhat inconsistent with the
> tuntap driver where one can create tuntap devices inside a container by
> first opening /dev/net/tun and then using them by supplying the tuntap
> device name via the ioctl(TUNSETIFF). And since TUNSETIFF validates the
> network namespace, one is limited to opening network devices that belong
> to your current network namespace.
>
> Here are some options to this issue, that I wanted to get feedback
> about, and just wondering if anybody else has run into this.
>
> 1)
>
> Don't create the tap device, such as macvtap in the container. Instead,
> create the tap device outside of the container and then move it into the
> desired container network namespace. In addition, do a mknod() for the
> corresponding /dev/tapNN device from outside the container before doing
> chroot().
>
> This solution still doesn't allow tap devices to be created inside the
> container. Thus, in the case of kubevirt, which runs libvirtd inside of
> a container, it would mean changing libvirtd to open existing tap
> devices (as opposed to the current behavior of creating new ones). This
> would not require any kernel changes, but as mentioned seems
> inconsistent with the tuntap interface.

Presumably the /dev/tapNN  device name also changes when you rename
the tap device interface using SIOCSIFNAME ?

eg if it was /dev/tap24 in the host and you called SIOCSIFNAME(eth0)
when moving it into the container, it would be /dev/eth0 inside the
container ?

Anyway, given that this /dev/tapNN approach is what exists today,
libvirt will likely want to implement support for this regardless
in order to support existing kernels.

> 2)
>
> Add a new kernel interface for tap devices similar to how /dev/net/tun
> currently works. It might be nice to use TUNSETIFF for tap devices, but
> because tap devices have different fops they can't be easily switched
> after open(). So the suggestion is a new ioctl (TUNGETFDBYNAME?), where
> the tap device name is supplied and a new fd (distinct from the fd
> returned by the open of /dev/net/tun) is returned as an output field as
> part of the new ioctl parameter.
>
> It may not make sense to have this new ioctl call for /dev/net/tun since
> its really about opening a tap device, so it may make sense to introduce
> it as part of a new device, such as /dev/net/tap. This new ioctl could
> be used for macvtap and ipvtap (or any tap device). I think it might
> also improve performance for tuntap devices themselves, if they are
> opened this way since currently all tun operations such as read() and
> write() take a reference count on the underlying tuntap device, since it
> can be changed via TUNSETIFF. I tested this interface out, so I can
> provide the kernel changes if that's helpful for clarification.

Either /dev/net/tun wit new ioctl, or /dev/net/tap with TNUSETIFF
would be workable from libvirt's POV.

One slight complication with either of the solutions above is that
libvirt won't know whether it is given a TAP or a MACVTAP device.
It'll only be given the device name. So with code today we would
probably have to first try /dev/tapNNN and if that doesn't exist
then try /dev/net/tun with TUNSETIFF.

If adding a new /dev/net/tap, something could seemlessy accept
either a TAP or MACTAP nic name would be nice.

Regards,
Daniel