Date:   Sat, 4 Aug 2018 21:52:16 -0400
From:   Harsha Chenji <cjkernel@...il.com>
To:     netdev@...r.kernel.org
Subject: rmnet_data multicast support

Hi all,

We are using the rmnet_data interface on a Google Pixel phone
connected to our LTE network.
The aim is to send/receive multicast traffic (224.0.0.1) over this
point-to-point, NOARP link between the phone and (effectively) the LTE
EPC which acts as the IP router for the phone. Since there is no
Ethernet/MAC addresses in LTE user traffic, this is a Layer 3
multicast so things should work. Note that we are not using eMBMS
which is part of the LTE spec, this is just IP layer point-to-point
multicast (the LTE base station will not send this packet to all
connected phones unless it's over eMBMS).

The OS/kernel is lineageos 15.1, here is the source:
https://github.com/LineageOS/android_kernel_google_marlin .

However, despite enabling IFF_BROADCAST, IFF_MULTICAST and IFF_NOARP
flags at the time of netdev creation in the rmnet driver, we still
cannot receive any multicast traffic. I can see the packets being
transmitted by the EPC to the phone over wireshark. But when I run
tcpdump on the phone (even after ifconfig promisc mode), nothing shows
up!

Could I know how to debug/troubleshoot this situation? Is the MSM
chipset somehow dropping multicast traffic internally before it
reaches the kernel? rmnet_data_debug is compiled into the kernel,
maybe it can help debug - how do I enable it at runtime? Should I add
rmnet_data.dump_rx_pkt to the kernel bootargs?

Thanks for your time and help,
Harsha

sailfish:/ # cat /proc/net/igmp
Idx     Device    : Count Querier       Group    Users Timer    Reporter
1       lo        :     1      V3
                                010000E0     1 0:00000000               0
3       dummy0    :     1      V3
                                010000E0     1 0:00000000               0
5       rmnet_ipa0:     1      V3
                                010000E0     1 0:00000000               0
6       rmnet_data0:     1      V3
                                010000E0     1 0:00000000               0
23      wlan0     :     1      V3
                                010000E0     1 0:00000000               0
24      p2p0      :     1      V3
                                010000E0     1 0:00000000               0

$ adb shell ip maddress
1:      lo
        inet  224.0.0.1
        inet6 ff02::1