Date:   Fri, 24 Aug 2018 16:25:48 +0200
From:   Jesper Dangaard Brouer <brouer@...hat.com>
To:     Jeff Kirsher <jeffrey.t.kirsher@...el.com>
Cc:     brouer@...hat.com, Alexander Duyck <alexander.duyck@...il.com>,
        tehnerd@...nerd.com, Netdev <netdev@...r.kernel.org>,
        tytus.a.wasilewski@...el.com,
        Tymoteusz Kielan <tymoteusz.kielan@...el.com>,
        John Fastabend <john.fastabend@...il.com>,
        Daniel Borkmann <borkmann@...earbox.net>,
        Alexei Starovoitov <alexei.starovoitov@...il.com>
Subject: Re: ixgbe hangs when XDP_TX is enabled

On Wed, 22 Aug 2018 09:22:58 -0700 Jeff Kirsher <jeffrey.t.kirsher@...el.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 2018-08-21 at 11:13 -0700, Alexander Duyck wrote:

[...]
> > > # nproc
> > > 48

[...]
> > > ethtool -l eth0
> > > Channel parameters for eth0:
> > > Pre-set maximums:
> > > RX:             0
> > > TX:             0
> > > Other:          1
> > > Combined:       63
> > > Current hardware settings:
> > > RX:             0
> > > TX:             0
> > > Other:          1
> > > Combined:       48
[...]

> > > workaround for now is to do the same, as Brenden did in his
> > > original
> > > finding: make sure that combined + xdp queues < max_tx_queues
> > > (e.g. w/ combined == 14 the issue goes away).

> > > will try but this could take a while, because i'm not sure that we
> > > have ixgbe in our test lab (and it would be hard to run such test
> > > in prod)

Notice to reproduce you need a system with 48 cores. (I predict: for
less than 33 cores it will not show, and above 48 cores the XDP prog
should be rejected loading).

> > So I have been reading the datasheet
> > (
> > https://www.intel.com/content/dam/www/public/us/en/documents/datasheets/82599-10-gbe-controller-datasheet.pdf
> > )
> > and it looks like the assumption that Brenden came to in the earlier
> > referenced link is probably correct. From what I can tell there is a
> > limit of 64 queues in the base RSS mode of the device, so while it
> > supports more than 64 queues you can only make use of 64 as per table
> > 7-25.

As far as I can remember, the driver code assumes up-to 96 queue are
avail.  It sounds like the driver XDP code that allocates 'one XDP
TX-queue per core' in the system are causing this.

I have previously complained that the ixgbe driver will be able to
enable XDP on machines with many CPU cores, due to the 'one XDP TX-queue
per core' design requirement.

> > For now I think the workaround you are using is probably the only
> > viable solution. I myself don't have time to work on resolving this,
> > but I am sure on of the maintainers for ixgbe will be responding
> > shortly.
>
> I have notified the 10GbE maintainers, and we are working to reproduce
> the issue currently.

For reproducers, notice the correlation with the number of cores the
system have.

> > One possible solution we may want to look at would be to make use of
> > the 32 pool/VF mode in the MTQC register. That should enable us to
> > make use of all 128 queues but I am sure there would be other side
> > effects such as having to set the bits in the PFVFTE register in
> > order to enable the extra Tx queues.

Getting access to more queue is of-cause good, as it move the bar for
how many cores a system can have before XDP will no-longer work with
the ixgbe driver.

An alternative solution is also possible, but there will be a
performance trade off.  After merge commit 10f678683e4 ("Merge branch
'xdp_xmit-bulking'") the ndo_xdp_xmit() gets bulks of 16 frames (limit
within devmap).  Thus, on systems that cannot allocate a NIC HW queue
foreach CPU core, can alternatively use locked XDP TX queue(s) (which
will be amortized due to bulking).  This mode will be slower, thus the
question is how do we "warn" the user, that this will be operating in a
slightly less optimal XDP-TX mode? (will a simple pr_info be enough,
like when there is insufficient PCIe BW).

--
Best regards,
  Jesper Dangaard Brouer