Date:   Mon, 1 Oct 2018 17:37:06 +0300
From:   Ilias Apalodimas <ilias.apalodimas@...aro.org>
To:     Jesper Dangaard Brouer <brouer@...hat.com>
Cc:     netdev@...r.kernel.org, jaswinder.singh@...aro.org,
        ard.biesheuvel@...aro.org, masami.hiramatsu@...aro.org,
        arnd@...db.de, bjorn.topel@...el.com, magnus.karlsson@...el.com,
        daniel@...earbox.net, ast@...nel.org,
        jesus.sanchez-palencia@...el.com, vinicius.gomes@...el.com,
        makita.toshiaki@....ntt.co.jp, Tariq Toukan <tariqt@...lanox.com>,
        Tariq Toukan <ttoukan.linux@...il.com>
Subject: Re: [net-next, PATCH 1/2, v3] net: socionext: different approach on
 DMA

On Mon, Oct 01, 2018 at 03:48:45PM +0200, Jesper Dangaard Brouer wrote:
> On Mon, 1 Oct 2018 14:20:21 +0300
> Ilias Apalodimas <ilias.apalodimas@...aro.org> wrote:
>
> > On Mon, Oct 01, 2018 at 01:03:13PM +0200, Jesper Dangaard Brouer wrote:

> > > Thanks for clarifying.  But no, this is not introducing a 'bottleneck'
> > > for AF_XDP.
> > >
> > > For (1) the copy-mode-AF_XDP the frame (as you noticed) is "freed" or
> > > "returned" very quickly after it is copied.  The code is a bit hard to
> > > follow, but in __xsk_rcv() it calls xdp_return_buff() after the memcpy.
> > > Thus, the frame can be kept DMA mapped and reused in RX-ring quickly.
> >
> > Ok makes sense. I'll send a v4 with page re-usage, while using your
> > API for page allocation
>
> Sound good, BUT do notice that using the bare page_pool, will/should
> give you increased XDP performance, but might slow-down normal network
> stack delivery, because netstack will not call xdp_return_frame() and
> instead falls back to returning the pages through the page-allocator.
>
> I'm very interested in knowing what performance increase you see with
> XDP_DROP, with just a "bare" page_pool implementation.
When i was just syncing the page fragments instead of unmap -> alloc -> map i
was getting ~340kpps (with XDP_REDIRECT). I ended up with 320kpps on this patch.
I did a couple of more changes though (like the dma mapping when allocating
the buffers) so i am not 100% sure what caused that difference
I'll let you know once i finish up the code using the API for page allocation

Regarding the change and the 'bottleneck' discussion we had. XDP_REDIRECT is
straight forward (non ZC mode). I agree with you that since the payload is
pretty much immediately copied before being flushed to the userspace, it's
unlikely you'll end up delaying the hardware (starving without buffers).
Do you think that's the same for XDP_TX? The DMA buffer will need to be synced
for the CPU, then you ring a doorbell with X packets. After that you'll have to
wait for the Tx completion and resync the buffers to the device. So you actually
make your Rx descriptors depending on your Tx completion (and keep in mind this
NIC only has 1 queue per direction)

Now for the measurements part, i'll have to check with the vendor if the
interface can do more than 340kpps and we are missing something
performance-wise.
Have you done any tests with IOMMU enabled/disabled? In theory the dma recycling
will shine against map/unmap when IOMMU is on (and the IOMMU stressed i.e have a
different NIC doing a traffic test)

> The mlx5 driver does not see this netstack slowdown, because it have a
> hybrid approach of maintaining a recycle ring for frames going into
> netstack, by bumping the refcnt.  I think Tariq is cleaning this up.
> The mlx5 code is hard to follow... in mlx5e_xdp_handle()[1] the
> refcnt==1 and a bit is set. And in [2] the refcnt is page_ref_inc(),
> and bit is caught in [3].  (This really need to be cleaned up and
> generalized).
I've read most of the XDP related code on Intel/Mellanox
before starting my patch series. I'll have a closer look now, thanks!