Date:   Thu, 25 Oct 2018 10:32:13 -0700
From:   Eric Dumazet <eric.dumazet@...il.com>
To:     Keyur Amrutbhai Patel <keyurp@...inx.com>,
        Eric Dumazet <eric.dumazet@...il.com>
Cc:     "netdev@...r.kernel.org" <netdev@...r.kernel.org>
Subject: Re: netif_receive_skb is taking long time

Please do not top post, and use normal quoting.

On 10/25/2018 10:22 AM, Keyur Amrutbhai Patel wrote:
> Hi Eric,
>
> First of all thank you for replying and giving some spotlight.
>
> First step would be to read Documentation/networking/scaling.txt and see if anything there helps.
>  - This is good article. I had gone through it.  Any suggestion on RSS? How to configure it? Do I need to take care anything specially in my NIC driver?

Just read the page and apply the various configurations.

> Have you tried to profile the kernel and see if some contention or hot function appears ?
> - I have added time stampings in different functions. That is how I came to know that almost ~3375 neno seconds are used by just " netif_receive_skb " don’t know why. With less than that time my DMA operation is finishes and descriptors are managed.
> Current time consuming function are " netif_receive_skb " and " napi_alloc_skb " these two function calls are taking maximum about of time

So... networking spend more time in upper stacks than a driver.

A driver does almost nothing, just passing around bits that that NIC put in memory.

In most workloads, a driver would not use more than 5% of total cpu cycles.

Now, if all you need is to impress your friends/boss about some
crazy number of RX packets per second,
just do not allocate skbs, and not call netif_receive_skb(),
use something like XDP to drop incoming frames :)