Date:   Thu, 22 Nov 2018 01:47:52 +0100
From:   Alexis Bauvin <abauvin@...leway.com>
To:     David Ahern <dsa@...ulusnetworks.com>, roopa@...ulusnetworks.com
Cc:     netdev@...r.kernel.org, akherbouche@...leway.com
Subject: Re: [RFC v3 0/3] Add VRF support for VXLAN underlay

Le 21 nov. 2018 à 20:26, David Ahern <dsa@...ulusnetworks.com> a écrit :

> [...]
>> .
>> .                    +---------+                  +--------------+
>> .                    |         |                  |              |
>> .                    | vrf1001 |                  | vrf-underlay |
>> .                    |         |                  |              |
>> .                    +---+-+---+                  +-------+------+
>> .                        | |                              |
>> .              +---------+ +----------+                   |
>> .              |                      |                   |
>> .       +------+------+          +----+---+               |
>> .       |             |          |        |               |
>> .       |     br2     |          | br1001 |               |
>> .       | 10.0.2.1/24 |          |        |               |
>> .       |             |          +----+---+               |
>> .       +----+-+-+----+               |                   |
>> .            | | |                    |                   |
>> .      +-----+ | +-------+            |                   |
>> .      |       |         |            |           +-------+-------+
>> .  +---+--+ +--+---+ +---+----+ +-----+-----+     |               |
>> .  |      | |      | |        | |           |     |   eth0.2030   |
>> .  | tap3 | | tap4 | | vxlan2 | | vxlan1001 |     | 172.16.0.2/24 |
>> .  |      | |      | |        | |           |     |               |
>> .  +------+ +------+ +--------+ +-----------+     +---------------+
>> .                         .           .                 ^  .
>> . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  .
>>           (vxlan lower device is eth0.2030)               v
>>                                                 +----------------+
>>                                                 |                |
>>                                                 |      eth0      |
>>                                                 | 192.168.1.2/24 |
>>                                                 |                |
>>                                                 +----------------+
>>
>> In this example, the underlay is rather simple. A more complex case
>> could be with several uplinks in the underlay vrf, and a dummy/loopback
>> with a /32 ip, used as a vxlan lower device and to bind routing daemons
>> (e.g. bgpd).
>>
>>                  +--------------+
>>                  |              |
>>                  | vrf-underlay |
>>                  |              |
>>                  +-----+-+-+----+
>>                        | | |
>>        +---------------+ | +---------------+
>>        |                 |                 |
>> +-------+-------+ +-------+-------+ +-------+--------+
>> |               | |               | |                |
>> |     eth1      | |     eth2      | |     dummy0     |
>> | 172.16.0.2/31 | | 172.16.0.4/31 | | 192.168.0.1/32 |
>> |               | |               | |                |
>> +---------------+ +---------------+ +----------------+
>>                                            .
>> . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
>>        (vxlan lower device is dummy0)
>
> Thanks for sending a more complete example. I forwarded it to some FRR

My pleasure.

>> As for default vrf, it would contain for example management traffic. We
>> don’t want to mix the underlay routing tables to other traffics.
>
> Management VRF? :-)

Definitely possible, indeed. This would be the best solution, if only I *could*.
Reality is, people are still suspicious of networking guys. The least we touch
their servers, the better they are. For hypervisors we can, but the rest of
them are a mix and match, and I need to be as generic as possible.

Telling others to get off the default vrf for their own management softwares
(for example) if they want to integrate into what I’m developing is quite the
challenge. I need to be as plug-and-play as possible, and an underlay vrf is the
best option to keep the default to whatever it was used for.

(And as weird as it might be, it is easier for me to tell them to upgrade to a
mainline kernel than to rewrite their networking setup)

>>> Also, it would be good to have a unit test this case. Can you create a
>>> shell script that creates the setup and runs a few tests verifying
>>> connectivity? You can use network namespaces and veth pairs in place of
>>> the VM with a tap device. From there the functionality is the same.
>>> Tests can be initial VRF association for the vxlan lower device,
>>> changing the VRF to another device, and then changing again back to
>>> default VRF - checking proper connectivity for each.
>>
>> Sure! I’ve just finished writing it, but I am not sure of the best way
>> so send it. I guess I will have to add it to a v4 of the patches, in
>> tools/testing/selftests/net?
>
> yes, that would be good. Thank you for writing it.

Will be sent in next patch series.