Date:   Mon, 3 Dec 2018 23:08:16 -0500
From:   "Michael S. Tsirkin" <mst@...hat.com>
To:     jiangyiwen <jiangyiwen@...wei.com>
Cc:     Jason Wang <jasowang@...hat.com>, stefanha@...hat.com,
        stefanha@...il.com, netdev@...r.kernel.org, kvm@...r.kernel.org,
        virtualization@...ts.linux-foundation.org
Subject: Re: [RFC] Discuss about an new idea "Vsock over Virtio-net"

On Tue, Dec 04, 2018 at 10:21:40AM +0800, jiangyiwen wrote:
> On 2018/12/4 9:31, Michael S. Tsirkin wrote:

> >> Hi Michael,
> >>
> >> AFAIK, there is almost no duplicate code between virtio vsock and virtio net now.
> >>
> >> But, if virtio vsock wants to support mergeable rx buffer and multiqueue feature,
> >> it has some duplicate codes from virtio net. Based on it, we both think vsock
> >> may use virtio net as a transport channel, in this way, vsock can use some of
> >> virtio net great features.
> >>
> >> Thanks,
> >> Yiwen.
> >
> > What I would do is just copy some code and show a performance
> > benefit. If that works out it will be clearer which code
> > should be shared.
> >

> Hi Michael,
>
> I have already sent a series of patches (VSOCK: support mergeable rx buffer in vhost-vsock)
> a month ago, and the performance as follows:
>
> I write a tool to test the vhost-vsock performance, mainly send big
> packet(64K) included guest->Host and Host->Guest. The result as
> follows:
>
> Before performance:
>               Single socket            Multiple sockets(Max Bandwidth)
> Guest->Host   ~400MB/s                 ~480MB/s
> Host->Guest   ~1450MB/s                ~1600MB/s
>
> After performance:
>               Single socket            Multiple sockets(Max Bandwidth)
> Guest->Host   ~1700MB/s                ~2900MB/s
> Host->Guest   ~1700MB/s                ~2900MB/s
>
> >From the test results, the performance is improved obviously, and guest
> memory will not be wasted.

Oh I didn't see that one. Pls CC me in the future.

Looking at it I agree zero page allocation looks like an issue
but besides that, I think we can merge something similar
and look at refactoring and future extensions later.

However, any interface change (e.g. a new feature) must be CC'd to one of
virtio lists (subscriber-only).