Date:   Sun, 23 Dec 2018 12:23:32 +0100
From:   Andrew Lunn <andrew@...n.ch>
To:     Robert Hancock <hancock@...systems.ca>
Cc:     netdev@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: Errors enabling bridge with KSZ9897 DSA switch driver

On Sat, Dec 22, 2018 at 08:29:08PM -0600, Robert Hancock wrote:
> I have a device using a KSZ9897 switch
> (CONFIG_MICROCHIP_KSZ_SPI_DRIVER=y) using a 4.19.9 kernel, where I am
> trying to enable a bridge on some of the ports using systemd-networkd.

Hi Robert

I don't think many of use use such a setup, so we probably have not
noticed this.

> However, it seems to be getting an error when it tries to configure the
> ports to be part of the bridge. systemd-networkd complains with:
>
> lan1: Set link
> lan1: Could not join netdev: Operation not supported
> lan1: Failed
>
> and the kernel complains:
>
> lan: bridge flag offload is not supported 4(lan1)
>
> That message is coming from br_switchdev_set_port_flag in
> net/bridge/br_switchdev.c. Adding some more output to that statement
> tells me:
>
> lan: bridge flag offload is not supported, flags 18656 mask 64 support
> 0, 4(lan1)
>
> which appears to mean something is trying to enable BR_BCAST_FLOOD,
> BR_MCAST_FLOOD, BR_PROMISC, BR_FLOOD, BR_LEARNING on the port, but it is
> failing to enable BR_FLOOD because brport_flags_support is 0. I am just
> using the default bridge settings in systemd-networkd, so that is
> nothing that I am specifying explicitly.

I think this is a systemd problem. It should first query what flags
are supported. See

dc0ecabd6231 ("net: switchdev: Add support for querying supported bridge flags by hardware")

And then only try to turn on flags which are supported.  If it tries
to turn on flags which are not supported, an error is the correct
thing to do.

      Andrew