Date:   Wed, 23 Jan 2019 01:22:40 +0100
From:   Andrew Lunn <andrew@...n.ch>
To:     John David Anglin <dave.anglin@...l.net>
Cc:     Russell King <linux@....linux.org.uk>,
        Vivien Didelot <vivien.didelot@...oirfairelinux.com>,
        Florian Fainelli <f.fainelli@...il.com>, netdev@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: net: phylink: dsa: mv88e6xxx: flaky link detection on switch
 ports with internal PHYs

> > It does not need to. There are two options here:
> >
> > 1) The PHY has no interrupt. phylib will poll the PHY once per second
> >    for link changes.
> >
> > 2) The PHY has in interrupt. Link changes will cause the interrupt to
> >    fire, and the phylib will then read the current state.
> >
> > For PHYs embedded within a switch driver by mv88e6xxx interrupts
> > should always be used.

Hi Dave

>From my Espressobin

cat /proc/interrupts
 44:          0          0  mv88e6xxx-g1   3 Edge      mv88e6xxx-g1-atu-prob
 46:          0          0  mv88e6xxx-g1   5 Edge      mv88e6xxx-g1-vtu-prob
 48:         38         24  mv88e6xxx-g1   7 Edge      mv88e6xxx-g2
 51:          0          1  mv88e6xxx-g2   1 Edge      !soc!internal-regs@...00000!mdio@...04!switch0@...dio:11
 52:          0          0  mv88e6xxx-g2   2 Edge      !soc!internal-regs@...00000!mdio@...04!switch0@...dio:12
 53:         38         23  mv88e6xxx-g2   3 Edge      !soc!internal-regs@...00000!mdio@...04!switch0@...dio:13

These are PHY interrupts.

> I don't think option 2) is implemented.  Didn't see any irq code in phy.c.

You would not. All the interrupt code is in the PHY core and the PHY
driver. drivers/net/dsa/mv88e6xxx/phy.c is just a bunch of helpers
which allow the mdio bus driver to access phy registers. The PHY
driver itself is drivers/net/phy/marvell.c, and the interrupt handling
is spread between that and drivers/net/phy/phy.c

> If I remember correctly, one needs to use clause 45 accesses to get at
> the PHY registers in the 88E6341.

Nope. The PHYs are c22 devices. The SERDES are probably C45, but those
are not being used here.

      Andrew