Date:   Thu, 31 Jan 2019 08:16:38 -0800
From:   Roopa Prabhu <roopa@...ulusnetworks.com>
To:     Jakub Kicinski <jakub.kicinski@...ronome.com>
Cc:     David Miller <davem@...emloft.net>, oss-drivers@...ronome.com,
        netdev <netdev@...r.kernel.org>,
        Jiří Pírko <jiri@...nulli.us>,
        Florian Fainelli <f.fainelli@...il.com>,
        Andrew Lunn <andrew@...n.ch>,
        Michal Kubecek <mkubecek@...e.cz>,
        David Ahern <dsahern@...il.com>,
        Simon Horman <simon.horman@...ronome.com>,
        "Brandeburg, Jesse" <jesse.brandeburg@...el.com>,
        maciejromanfijalkowski@...il.com, vasundhara-v.volam@...adcom.com,
        Michael Chan <michael.chan@...adcom.com>, shalomt@...lanox.com,
        Ido Schimmel <idosch@...lanox.com>
Subject: Re: [RFC 00/14] netlink/hierarchical stats

On Wed, Jan 30, 2019 at 4:24 PM Jakub Kicinski
<jakub.kicinski@...ronome.com> wrote:

> [...]
> > >
> > > Interestingly only two drivers in the tree use the name the standard
> > > gave us (etherStatsPkts512to1023, modulo case).
> > >
> > > I set out to working on this set in an attempt to give drivers a way
> > > to express clearly to user space standard-compliant counters.
> > >
> > > Second most common use for custom statistics is per-queue counters.
> > > This is where the "hierarchical" part of this set comes in, as
> > > groups can be nested, and user space tools can handle the aggregation
> > > inside the groups if needed.
> > >
> > > This set also tries to address the problem of users not knowing if
> > > a statistic is reported by hardware or the driver.  Many modern drivers
> > > use some prefix in ethtool -S to indicate MAC/PHY stats.  At a quick
> > > glance: Netronome uses "mac.", Intel "port." and Mellanox "_phy".
> > > In this set, netlink attributes describe whether a group of statistics
> > > is RX or TX, maintained by device or driver.
> > >
> > > The purpose of this patch set is _not_ to replace ethtool -S.  It is
> > > an incredibly useful tool, and we will certainly continue using it.
> > > However, for standard-based and commonly maintained statistics a more
> > > structured API seems warranted.
> > >
> > > There are two things missing from these patches, which I initially
> > > planned to address as well: filtering, and refresh rate control.
> > >
> > > Filtering doesn't need much explanation, users should be able to request
> > > only a subset of statistics (like only SW stats or only given ID).  The
> > > bitmap of statistics in each group is there for filtering later on.
> > >
> > > By refresh control I mean the ability for user space to indicate how
> > > "fresh" values it expects.  Sometimes reading the HW counters requires
> > > slow register reads or FW communication, in such cases drivers may cache
> > > the result.  (Privileged) user space should be able to add a "not older
> > > than" timestamp to indicate how fresh statistics it expects.  And vice
> > > versa, drivers can then also put the timestamp of when the statistics
> > > were last refreshed in the dump for more precise bandwidth estimation.
> >
> > Jakub, Glad to see hw stats in the RTM_*STATS api. I do see you
> > mention 'partial' support for ethtool stats. I understand the reason
> > you say its partial.
> > But while at it, why not also include the ability to have driver
> > extensible stats here ? ie make it complete. We have talked about
> > making all hw stats available
> > via the RTM_*STATS api in the past..., so just want to make sure the
> > new HSTATS infra you are adding to the RTM_*STATS api
> > covers or at-least makes it possible to include driver extensible
> > stats in the future where the driver gets to define the stats id +
> > value (This is very useful).
> >  It would be nice if you can account for that in this new HSTATS API.
>
> My thinking was that we should leave truly custom/strange stats to
> ethtool API which works quite well for that and at the same time be
> very accepting of people adding new IDs to HSTAT (only requirement is
> basically defining the meaning very clearly).

that sounds reasonable. But the 'defining meaning clearly' gets tricky
sometimes.
The vendor who gets their ID or meaning first wins :) and the rest
will have to live with
ethtool and explain to rest of the world that ethtool is more reliable
for their hardware :)

I am also concerned that this getting the ID into common HSTAT ID
space will  slow down the process of adding new counters
for vendors. Which will lead to vendors sticking with ethtool API. It
would be great if people can get all stats in one place and not rely
on another API for 'more'.

> For the first stab I looked at two drivers and added all the stats that
> were common.
>
> Given this set is identifying statistics by ID - how would we make that
> extensible to drivers?  Would we go back to strings or have some
> "driver specific" ID space?

I was looking for ideas from you really, to see if you had considered
this. agree per driver ID space seems ugly.
ethtool strings are great today...if we can control the duplication.
But thinking some more..., i did see some
patches recently for vendor specific parameter (with ID) space in
devlink. maybe something like that will be
reasonable ?

> Is there any particular type of statistic you'd expect drivers to want
> to add?  For NICs I think IEEE/RMON should pretty much cover the
> silicon ones, but I don't know much about switches :)

I will have to go through the list. But switch asics do support
flexible stats/counters that can be attached at various points.
And new chip versions come with more support. Having that flexibility
to expose/extend such stats incrementally is very valuable on a per
hardware/vendor basis.