Date:   Wed, 6 Feb 2019 18:53:44 +0530
From:   abhijit <abhijitnaik27@...il.com>
To:     Andrew Lunn <andrew@...n.ch>
Cc:     netdev@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: Is advertising of 2500Mbps support must from phy device to set
 phy at 2500Mbps link speed

Hi Andrew,

Thank you very much for reply.

Please see my reply in-line

On Tuesday 05 February 2019 08:26 PM, Andrew Lunn wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 05, 2019 at 11:39:34AM +0530, abhijit wrote:
>> Hi All,
>>
>> We are using Ethernet MAC which has integrated Phy. This phy supports speed
>> up to 10000Mbps. The phy has, 1000Base-X PCS(Physical Coding Sub-layer)
>> followed by SerDes interface to support 10Mbps to 10000Mbps. Currently we
>> are trying to get this phy at 2500Mbps. This device has 16 registers that
>> corresponds to Clause 37, which can be used to advertise speed till
>> 1000Mbps.
>> So my question is,
>> 1. Without phy advertising its capability of 2500Mbps, is there any way I
>> can set phy speed at 2500Mbps?
>> 2. I tried disabling auto-negotiation and setting speed at 2500Mbps with
>> ethtool (ethtool -s eth0  speed 2500 autoneg off), but the ethtool reported
>> this configuration as invalid?
>> 3. At the end we are targeting print of "link up (2500/Full)"
> Hi Abhijit
>
> It all depends on what the PHY driver can do.
> It sounds like the PHY
> driver does not support multi-gige speeds. So you probably need to
> work on the PHY driver and add support for them.
Currently, we don't have any phy drivers. Generic driver doesn't seems
to support 2500Mbps. If I have to write the driver, whether it is
necessary for phy device to advertise speed of 2500Mbps?

> What PHY is it?
Phy is custom phy and is currently under test. If you know any phy
device that supports 2500Mbps and whose data sheet is available freely
please let me know.