Date:   Tue, 19 Feb 2019 19:26:04 +0200
From:   Nikolay Aleksandrov <nikolay@...ulusnetworks.com>
To:     Linus Lüssing <linus.luessing@...3.blue>
Cc:     bridge@...ts.linux-foundation.org, netdev@...r.kernel.org,
        roopa@...ulusnetworks.com, f.fainelli@...il.com, idosch@...sch.org
Subject: Re: [Bridge] [RFC v2] net: bridge: don't flood known multicast
 traffic when snooping is enabled

On 19/02/2019 17:42, Linus Lüssing wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 19, 2019 at 03:31:42PM +0200, Nikolay Aleksandrov wrote:

>>> Or in other words, an unsolicited report will turn a previously
>>> unregistered multicast group into a registered one. However in the
>>> absence of a querier the knowledge about this newly registered multicast group
>>> will be incomplete. And therefore still needs to be flooded to avoid packet
>>> loss.
>>>

>> Right, this is expected. If the user has enabled igmp snooping and doesn't have
>> a querier present then such behaviour is to be expected.
>
> IGMP snooping is currently enabled by default. And IGMP/MLD
> querier is disabled by default. I wouldn't want packet loss to be
> the expected behaviour in a default setup.
>
> This default setup currently works. However with this change it
> will introduce packet loss, as you acknowledged (if I understood
> you correctly?).

Yeah, I'm not pushing this change anymore, the only option was to add
a tunable for the behaviour which I described in my previous reply but I
really want to avoid adding yet another bridge option as it has
way too many already.

>> What is surprising is
>> the user explicitly enabling igmp snooping, adding an mdst and then still
>> getting it flooded. :)
>
> Hm, for me that does not seem surprising. I would not expect igmp
> snooping to work without a querier on the link. Why don't you just
> add/enable a querier in your setups then if you want to avoid
> flooding?

Yep, ack.

>> An alternative is to drop all unregistered traffic when a querier is not present.
>> But that will surely break setups and at best should be a configurable option that
>> is disabled by default.
>
> Absolutely right. Always dropping with no querier is no option. That's why I'd say
> you should always flood multicast packets if there is no querier.
>

>> So in effect and to try and make everybody happy we can add an option to control
>> this behaviour with keeping the current as default and adding the following options:
>>  - no querier: flood all (default, current)
>
> ACK
>
> For the other options maybe I do not understand your scenario yet.
> Wouldn't these two options result in eratic behaviour?
>
>>  - no querier: flood unregistered, forward registered
>>  - no querier: drop unregistered, forward registered

To be fair I've seen all 3 options being default on different versions of
network OSes by major vendors.

> Let's call these two cases A) - flood unregistered, forward
> registered and B) - drop unregistered, forward registered.
>

> Let's say you have a bridge with two ports:
> (1)<-[br]->(2). And no querier.
>
> Behind (2) there is a listener for group M. M is not
> registered by the bridge because either that listener joined
> before the bridge came up or the entry was registered once but had
> timed out. Or there was packet loss and the report did not arrive
> at the bridge (for instance bc. listener is behind a wireless
> connection).
>
> For case B) we can immediately see that the listener at (2) will
> not receive the traffic it signed up for. And this is a permanent
> issue as the listener will not send any further reports.
>
> Case A) is ok, the listener behind port (2) receives its traffic.
>

> Now, a listener for M joins at (1). It sends an unsolicited
> report. Group M becomes registered by the bridge. Both for
> cases (A) and (B) this new listener at (1) will receive its
> traffic. However, not only in case B) now, but in case A), too,
> the listener at (2) will rceive no more traffic for M.
>

> Now 260 seconds pass (multicast_membership_interval). The entry
> for M times out and is deleted on the bridge. It becomes
> unregistered.
>
> Now for case (A) things would be ok again, both listeners at (1)
> and (2) would receive traffic. For now - as long as no new listener
> joins again.
>
> For case (B), both the listener at port (1) and (2) will fail to
> receive the traffic they signed up for.
>

> ---
>
> I hope this illustrates a bit what I'm afraid of? If you have any
> measures to prevent such behavior in your setup, I'd be curious to
> know.

It does and I'm aware of these scenarios, but there're static mcast trees
and also such that are controlled by user-space daemons, that is the daemon
keeps refreshing the mdb entries. They're non-standard for sure and obviously
we suggest having a querier always. That's why I suggested having these
as options, but now I'm retracting that and will table this whole thing for
the time being.
I really don't want to add another option to the bridge lightly.

> Regards, Linus

Thanks for the discussion and all the helpful comments,
 Nik