Date:   Mon, 25 Feb 2019 10:25:18 +0100
From:   Piero <ottuzzi@...il.com>
To:     Martin Blumenstingl <martin.blumenstingl@...glemail.com>
Cc:     linux.amoon@...il.com, linux-amlogic@...ts.infradead.org,
        netdev@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: 32-bit Amlogic SoCs: avoid using Ethernet MAC addresses

Hi,

  in my experience using armbian (so a different distribution) on
odroidc1 I see the mac is changing every time I do a new install but
it is kept constant between reboots: so it looks like something that
can be handled somewhere above the hardware-kernel layer.

*Ciao
Piero

Il giorno dom 24 feb 2019 alle ore 21:55 Martin Blumenstingl
<martin.blumenstingl@...glemail.com> ha scritto:

> I have seen Anand's your question in [0]:
> > only issue is I have is the each time their is random MAC address so I
> > get new IP from dhcp server.
> > How can I avoid this. I have tried to enable eFuse driver but with no success.
>
> u-boot on the 64-bit SoCs can read the MAC address from the eFuse and
> pass it (via the .dtb) to the kernel.
> This requires an ethernet0 alias in the mainline .dts though, see [1]
> for and example.
>
> I'm not sure if this also works with the older u-boot on the 32-bit SoCs.
> if it doesn't then there's a nvmem-cells binding for all Ethernet
> controllers: [2] (please note that the function implementing this
> binding was recently renamed: [3])
> as far as I can tell the stmmac driver doesn't support the nvmem-cells
> based binding yet
>
> Anand, if you want to work on this: feel free to do so!
> I have the SDHC MMC driver and a discussion about the power-domain
> drivers on my TODO-list, so I'm pretty busy at the moment.
>

> Regards
> Martin
>

> [0] http://lists.infradead.org/pipermail/linux-amlogic/2019-February/010464.html
> [1] https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git/commit/?id=f7c36209c46c4d162202b65eed2e66962ad8c3c1