Date:   Thu, 28 Feb 2019 00:19:40 +0100
From:   Andrew Lunn <andrew@...n.ch>
To:     Russell King - ARM Linux admin <linux@...linux.org.uk>
Cc:     Heiner Kallweit <hkallweit1@...il.com>,
        Florian Fainelli <f.fainelli@...il.com>,
Subject: Re: phylink / mv8e6xxx and SGMII aneg not working, link doesn't come
 up

> >From what you've described, it sounds like what you actually have is:
>
> 	MAC <---> Serdes PHY <---> PHY
>
> The Serdes PHY receives the SGMII in-band negotiation from the external
> PHY, but there is no propagation of the status from the serdes PHY to
> the MAC.

Yes, that is a good description. So far, we have not yet got the MAC
to read the speed and duplex from the SERDES to configure itself. In
theory it should be able to, it is all in the same device.

It might be that once the SERDES interrupts saying it has link we need
to program the MAC with the result of the in-band signalling. in-band
then seems a bit pointless. Or we are missing some configuration
somewhere to tell the MAC to use the in-band signalling result from
the SERDES.

     Andrew