Date:   Fri, 1 Mar 2019 12:55:02 -0800
From:   si-wei liu <si-wei.liu@...cle.com>
To:     "Michael S. Tsirkin" <mst@...hat.com>
Cc:     "Samudrala, Sridhar" <sridhar.samudrala@...el.com>,
        Siwei Liu <loseweigh@...il.com>, Jiri Pirko <jiri@...nulli.us>,
        Stephen Hemminger <stephen@...workplumber.org>,
        David Miller <davem@...emloft.net>,
        Netdev <netdev@...r.kernel.org>,
        virtualization@...ts.linux-foundation.org,
        virtio-dev <virtio-dev@...ts.oasis-open.org>,
        "Brandeburg, Jesse" <jesse.brandeburg@...el.com>,
        Alexander Duyck <alexander.h.duyck@...el.com>,
        Jakub Kicinski <kubakici@...pl>,
        Jason Wang <jasowang@...hat.com>, liran.alon@...cle.com
Subject: Re: [virtio-dev] Re: net_failover slave udev renaming (was Re: [RFC
 PATCH net-next v6 4/4] netvsc: refactor notifier/event handling code to use
 the bypass framework)

On 3/1/2019 5:27 AM, Michael S. Tsirkin wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 28, 2019 at 05:30:56PM -0800, si-wei liu wrote:

>>> Whatever crashes with a name not matching ethX will crash on the
>>> standby interface *anyway*.
>> With udev predictable naming disabled they should not. It's not hard for
>> user to look for device attribute to persistent the name well, in a
>> consistent and reliable way.
> Well that's special code for failover already. So far we just
> taught userspace to skip renaming slave interfaces.
I think today kernel provided names never collapse, e.g. master gets
eth0 then standby will get eth1. It's the userspace specified name that
suffers name clashing, mostly the default predictable naming pattern
from systemd-udevd.

Kernel should not assume there's only one naming pattern in userspace.
Users can customize naming with udev rules in /etc which do not conform
to the default udevd pattern at all. It's pretty legitimate use case.

>>> So I think what you are saying is that someone might have already
>>> written scripts and gotten them to work on v4.17 when STANDBY was
>>> included and these scripts rely on ethX. Now these scripts
>>> will break.
>> The controversial part is the new kernel naming pattern. Initially I thought
>> there shouldn't be such crazy scripts relying on the pattern, but when I
>> worked on cloud-init it I realized that there's already a lot of software
>> taking assumption around the 'eth0' name. In the past I've seen random
>> scripts that parses the ethX name assumes (incorrectly) the name ends up
>> with digits, or even the digits and name are 1:1 mapped. Of course, you can
>> say these are bugs in scripts themselves.
> No what I say is that they will crash on rename of standby too.
What do you mean crashing on standby rename? First off, if master is not
up, rename on both standby and primary should not fail. If master is up,
the standby should be named before userspace brings up the master, so
what's the issue you talked about?

Thanks,
-Siwei