Date:   Mon, 04 Mar 2019 23:18:24 +0000
From:   Hazrael <hazrael@...tonmail.com>
To:     "netdev@...r.kernel.org" <netdev@...r.kernel.org>
Subject: "A call to built-in function '__stack_chk_fail' is not supported." when building BPF samples/tools

Hello,

I guess I'm taking risks by asking this here, as the problem
I have is definitely more likely to come from my setup, but
after many research I don't know where to seek help.

So here it goes : when I try building samples/bpf or
tools/testing/selftests/bpf/, I always end up with the following
error (here when compiling samples):

 CLANG-bpf  <path_to>/samples/bpf/sockex1_kern.o
 error: <unknown>:0:0: in function bpf_prog1 i32 (%struct.__sk_buff*):
 A call to built-in function '__stack_chk_fail' is not supported.

- I'm running Archlinux (up-to-date) / 4.20.13-arch1-1-ARCH
- clang  7.0.1 / gcc 8.2.1 /
- It happens on *_kern.c programs only
- I tried following steps from Cilium BPF doc, right after a fresh
Archlinux install
(https://cilium.readthedocs.io/en/v1.3/bpf/#compiling-the-kernel)
- My kernel config matches what is required by Cilium guide.
- All in all, I tried with
  - archlinux "stock" kernel
  - many 'custom' kernels I compiled and installed (still on arch)
  - the net and net-next trees just as in Cilium guide (still on arch,
  fresh install)
- It worked fine on my Slackware with 4.20.0 kernel and a random Fedora...

So... guess that comes from my llvm/clang, but found nothing useful
online yet. I'm in the process of building llvm from scratch,even
if build parameters in llvm archlinux package don't seem odd compared
to what Cilium (once again :P) recommends.

I'm not asking for a full debug of course but if someone's here uses
Archlinux for BPF development and has some pointers, that would be nice !

And again, if that was totally the wrong place for such question, I'm
deeply sorry :/

Nicolas C.