Date:   Wed, 6 Mar 2019 04:09:30 +0530
From:   Kirti Wankhede <kwankhede@...dia.com>
To:     Parav Pandit <parav@...lanox.com>,
        Jakub Kicinski <jakub.kicinski@...ronome.com>
CC:     Or Gerlitz <gerlitz.or@...il.com>,
        "michal.lkml@...kovi.net" <michal.lkml@...kovi.net>,
        "davem@...emloft.net" <davem@...emloft.net>,
        "gregkh@...uxfoundation.org" <gregkh@...uxfoundation.org>,
        Jiri Pirko <jiri@...lanox.com>
Subject: Re: [RFC net-next 0/8] Introducing subdev bus and devlink extension

On 3/6/2019 1:16 AM, Parav Pandit wrote:

> [...]

You can achieve this with mdev as well.

>> Yes, sorry, I'm not an expert on mdevs, but isn't that the goal of those?
>> Could you go into more detail why not just use mdevs?
>>
> I am novice at mdev level too. mdev or vfio mdev.
> Currently by default we bind to same vendor driver, but when it was created as passthrough device, vendor driver won't create netdevice or rdma device for it.
> And vfio/mdev or whatever mature available driver would bind at that point.

Using mdev framework, if you want to partition a physical device into
multiple logic devices, you can bind those devices to same vendor driver
through vfio-mdev, where as if you want to passthrough the device bind
it to vfio-pci. If I understand correctly, that is what you are looking for.

>>> 3. Devices live on the bus, mapping a subport to 'struct device' is
>>> not intuitive.
>>
>> Are you saying that the main devlink instance would not have any port
>> information for the subdevices?
>>
> Right, this newly created devlink device is the control point of its port(s).
>
>> Devices live on a bus.  Software constructs - depend on how one wants to
>> model them - don't have to.
>>
>>> 4. sub-device allows to use existing devlink port, registers, health
>>> infrastructure to sub devices, which otherwise need to be duplicated
>>> for ports.
>>
>> Health stuff is not tied to a port, I'm not following you.  You can create a
>> reporter per port, per ACL rule or per SB or per whatever your heart desires..
>>
> Instead of creating multiple reporters and inventing these reporter naming schemes,
> creating devlink instance leverage all health reporting done for a devliink instance.
> So whatever is done for instance A (parent), can be available for instance B (subdev).
>
>>> 5. Even though current devlink devices are networking devices, there
>>> is nothing restricts it to be that way. So subport is a restricted
>>> view.
>>> 6. devlink device already covers
>>> port sub-object, hence creating devlink device is desired.

>>> Yep, you got it right. :-)

>>> Devlink works on bus,device model. It doesn't matter what class of
>>> device is. For example, for pci class can be anything. So newly
>>> created sub-devices are not limited to netdev/rdma devices. Its
>>> agnostic to protocol. More importantly, we don't want to create these
>>> sub-devices who bus type is 'pci'. Because as described below, PCI has
>>> its addressing scheme and pci bus must not have mix-n match devices.
>>>
>>> So probably better wording should be,
>>> 'a devlink tool and its kernel counterpart is not sufficient to create
>>> sub-devices of same class as that of PCI device.
>>
>> Let me clarify - for networking devices the partition will most likely end up as
>> a subport, but its not a requirement that each partition must be a subport..
>> The question was about the necessity to invent a new bus, and have every
>> resource have a struct device..
>>

> A device object and bus connecting all software objects correctly. This includes,
> 1. devlink bus/name handle based access
> 2. matching such device in sysfs
> 3. parent child hierarchy in sysfs
> 4. ability to bind different driver
> 5. multi-ports per device
> 6. still usable for single port use case
> 7. parameters setting at devlink instance level
> 8. parent-child relation handling power mgmt
> 9. follows standard linux driver model
>
> Some are achievable to through mfd too, instead of subdev bus.
> Will follow Greg's guidance on this.

I think you can achieve all the above points with mdev framework as
well. Check samples at samples/vfio-mdev/ in kernel for quick
understanding.

Thanks,
Kirti