Date:   Wed, 6 Mar 2019 05:42:28 +0000
From:   Parav Pandit <parav@...lanox.com>
To:     Kirti Wankhede <kwankhede@...dia.com>,
        Jakub Kicinski <jakub.kicinski@...ronome.com>
CC:     Or Gerlitz <gerlitz.or@...il.com>,
        "michal.lkml@...kovi.net" <michal.lkml@...kovi.net>,
        "davem@...emloft.net" <davem@...emloft.net>,
        "gregkh@...uxfoundation.org" <gregkh@...uxfoundation.org>,
        Jiri Pirko <jiri@...lanox.com>
Subject: RE: [RFC net-next 0/8] Introducing subdev bus and devlink extension

Hi Kirti,

Yes. I got my patches to adapt to mdev way. Will be posting RFC v2 soon.
Will wait for a day to receive more comments/views from Greg and others.

As I explained in this cover-letter and discussion,
First use case is to create and use mdevs in the host (and not in VM).
Later on, I am sure once we have mdevs available, VM users will likely use it.

So, mlx5_core driver will have two components as starting point.

1. drivers/net/ethernet/mellanox/mlx5/core/mdev/mdev.c
This is mdev device life cycle driver which will do, mdev_register_device() and implements mlx5_mdev_ops.

2. drivers/net/ethernet/mellanox/mlx5/core/mdev/mdev_driver.c
This is mdev device driver which does mdev_register_driver()
and probe() creates netdev by heavily reusing existing code of the PF device.
These drivers will not be placed under drivers/vfio/mdev, because this is not a vfio driver.
This is fine, right?

Given that this is net driver, we will be submitting patches,
through netdev mailing list through Dave Miller's net-next tree.
And CC kvm@...r.kernel.org, you and others as usual.
Are you ok, merging code this way as mdev device creator and mdev driver.
Yes?