Date:   Thu, 7 Mar 2019 14:02:44 -0500
From:   Paul Thomas <pthomas8589@...il.com>
To:     Harini Katakam <harinik@...inx.com>
Cc:     Richard Cochran <richardcochran@...il.com>,
        "linuxptp-devel@...ts.sourceforge.net"
        <linuxptp-devel@...ts.sourceforge.net>, netdev@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: [Linuxptp-devel] strangeness

On Thu, Mar 7, 2019 at 12:32 AM Harini Katakam <harinik@...inx.com> wrote:

> Hi Paul,
> On Thu, Mar 7, 2019 at 4:38 AM Paul Thomas <pthomas8589@...il.com> wrote:
> >
> > On Fri, Mar 1, 2019 at 1:24 AM Harini Katakam <harinik@...inx.com> wrote:
> > >
> > > +netdev
> > >
> > > Hi Paul,

> > > Ok thanks.
> > > One place to check in the driver will be:
> > > if (gem_ptp_do_txstamp(queue, skb, desc) == 0) {
> > > /* skb now belongs to timestamp buffer
> > > * and will be removed later
> > > */
> > > tx_skb->skb = NULL;
> > > }
> > > When all TX packets are timestamped, the skb always belongs to the
> > > timestamp buffer.

> > > To check this, the statistics registers in MAC will be one way.
> > > But if there is no TX completion interrupt, then I wouldn't expect
> > > these statistics to increase either. The used bit status in BD dump
> > > might be of more use.
> > >
> > > I will also try to reproduce (with TX timestamp ALL) and see if any of
> > > the above gives some clue.
> > >
> > > Regards,
> > > Harini
> >
> > Hi Harini, any luck looking at this?
>
> I'm sorry, I was not able to debug this further.
>

> > I didn't get very far, even in the "broken" state I see plenty of tx_frames:
> > root@xu5:/opt/linuxptp# ethtool -S eth0
> > NIC statistics:
> >      tx_frames: 39763
> >
> > When you said "registers in the MAC" is ethtool -S displaying that?
>
> Yes, ethtool does display these statistics.
> I was referring to the registers starting offset 0xFF0B0108 (for GEM0) here:
> https://www.xilinx.com/html_docs/registers/ug1087/ug1087-zynq-ultrascale-registers.html
> If you see this value increasing, then the MAC is transmitting successfully.
> Although, I realize it could be other traffic. To see if specific
> packets (for the
> failed SSH connection) are not being queued, a BD dump might help.
>
> Regards,
> Harini

OK, I think things are becoming more clear. After just doing ioctl(fd,
SIOCSHWTSTAMP, &ifreq) from userspace (tx_bd_control =
TSTAMP_ALL_FRAMES in macb_ptp.c) then with the nc experiment some udp
transmits do not make it to macb_start_xmit() until receive traffic on
the nc connection comes in (one-to-one, one new rx packet means one
old tx packet goes out).

Working setup:
Before the tx_bd_control = TSTAMP_ALL_FRAMES.
Every time I hit "sN Enter" from nc I see a macb_start_xmit
print_hex_dump() and I see the packet on the nc client side:
# nc -l -u -p 9999
s11
[  347.517080] macb_start_xmit data: 00000000: 20 b0 f7 04 0a 29 20 b0
f7 04 0a 26 08 00 45 00   ....) ....&..E.
s12
[  348.964369] macb_start_xmit data: 00000000: 20 b0 f7 04 0a 29 20 b0
f7 04 0a 26 08 00 45 00   ....) ....&..E.

Broken setup:
After the tx_bd_control = TSTAMP_ALL_FRAMES.
Not the first nc packet, but many of the subsequent ones never make it
to macb_start_xmit()
# nc -l -u -p 9999
s3
s4
s5
Eventually after I send data from the client nc I do see the
macb_start_xmit() lines.

Hopefully this helps point us in the right direction, I would very
much like to be able to do timestamping with my zynqmp board.

thanks,
Paul