Date:   Mon, 25 Mar 2019 23:10:50 +0100
From:   Reindl Harald <h.reindl@...lounge.net>
To:     Cong Wang <xiyou.wangcong@...il.com>
Cc:     Linux Kernel Network Developers <netdev@...r.kernel.org>
Subject: Re: random crashes, kdump and so on

Am 25.03.19 um 22:58 schrieb Cong Wang:
> On Mon, Mar 25, 2019 at 2:37 PM Reindl Harald <h.reindl@...lounge.net> wrote:

>>> Possibly because of KASLR, please report this to kexec-tools mailing
>>> list. This looks more like a kexec-tools bug than a kernel bug
>>
>> as you can see in my post i linked a similar discussion pointing that
>> out from years ago
>

> Not surprised, we saw and fixed a similar issue with our kexec-tools,
> it is very possible the same issue re-surface again because of either
> a newer kernel or a newer kexec-tools.

sad...

>>> It can, but many times stack traces are not sufficient for debugging
>>> a kernel crash. This is why kdump saves the whole memory.
>>
>> and *how* can it without kdump?
>

> For instance, netconsole.

with a kernel panic in the network layer?

>> fact is that there is no sane reason on a machine with 2.5 GB RAM dump
>> out 5.4 GB until the rootfs is full
>

> You could choose to save dmesg only, if this is what you prefer. Unless
> your kernel log is flooded, you won't need so much disk space if you
> only save dmesg. (Kernel log can be flooded, for example, when you
> have a bad disk, by the way.)

it would be so cool when people instead "you could" tell how you could,
frankly if it would be obvious i would have configured it already that
way :-)

bad disks is impossible on a VM hosted on a shared SAN or at least when
the SAN starts to fire problems the default gateway of the network is no
longer that important.....

on the other hand it looked like dmesg was that large but how can it
when the VM has only 2.5 GB RAM, as i noticed that before delete the
stuff to avoid another crash by the full disk i did a tail on that file
and saw iptables logs which are strictly ratelimited, but god knows what
the kernel does in a panic event.....

-rw------- 1 root root    0 2019-03-25 10:35 vmcore-incomplete
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 5.4G 2019-03-25 10:35 vmcore-dmesg-incomplete.txt

>> frankly it would be even helpfull *reverse* the stacktrace on the VT so
>> that one can see the entry point instead a "not syncing, expection in
>> interrupt" given that the VT on most virtual machines is way too small
>> and no you don#t want graphic drivers and what not on virtual servers
>
> Try some console server or netconsole.

VMware guests, crash in the network layer

>>> Switch to a stable distro, like CentOS or Debian stable. If you use
>>> Fedora 28, it is expected to be not that stable (relatively)
>> sorry but that is nonsense, don't tell me "switch to a stable distro"
>> after more than 10 years Fedora in production, especially don't tell on
>> kernel.org "use some outdated crap full of backports" especially on a
>> setup doing nothing than iptables
>
> Sure, good luck. I use Fedora too as my personal development work
> station, in case you think I am biased.

good

>> fact is that around 4.19.x the kernel had a ton of issues starting with
>> conncount broken over months (again: with a simple method get the
>> stacktrace it would have been easily discovered), the scheduler issue in
>> 4.19.x eating peoples data and so on
>
> If kexec-tools doesn't work for you, try something else like netconsole
> to save the stack traces. Again, depends on the type of crash, just stack
> trace may not even be enough to debugging it. Of course, having a
> stack trace is still much better than having nothing.

for now it looks that the tonights 5.0.4 F29 build works without the
random crashes, kdump this time also didn't refuse to start and
/var/crash is now a dedicated virtual disk with 3 GB

fingers crossing, after the last days this looks good at fierst sight,
on the oher hand there where days up to weeks with no panic, so god knows