Date:   Sat, 30 Mar 2019 08:52:51 -0700
From:   William Tu <u9012063@...il.com>
To:     Jonathan Lemon <bsd@...com>
Cc:     "netdev@...r.kernel.org" <netdev@...r.kernel.org>,
        Magnus Karlsson <magnus.karlsson@...el.com>,
        Björn Töpel <bjorn.topel@...il.com>,
        "jakub.kicinski@...ronome.com" <jakub.kicinski@...ronome.com>,
        Saeed Mahameed <saeedm@...lanox.com>
Subject: Re: [RFC] xdp, multiple rss objects

Hi Jonathan,

Sorry I don't have good suggestions but I have a couple of questions.

On Fri, Mar 29, 2019 at 9:17 AM Jonathan Lemon <bsd@...com> wrote:

> Background:
>
> With AF_XDP, packets are placed on queues which are serviced directly from
> an application running in user space, which promises greatly increased
> performance.  However, not all incoming packets should be delivered to the
> application; there may be management traffic, or packets which should be
> handled by normal Linux networking applications.

I thought we can put a XDP program to filter for AF_XDP.
So pass the management traffic to normal linux networking stack, and
other traffic to AF_XDP socket. Does this help?

> Having the AF_XDP application handle the packets and return them to the
> kernel for processing is not ideal, nor is adding a bpf filter at the kernel
> level which performs the redirection.  It would be nicer if the redirection
> was done in the NIC itself.  Fortunately, there is a facility for this: the
> RX network flow classification.

May I know your use case for packets handled in AF_XDP, and then
return/re-inject to kernel?
Our case is that when packets received from AF_XDP netdev, we want
to forward to a vm (tun/tap) or container (veth), so have to reinject to kernel.

Regards,
William