Date:   Thu, 4 Apr 2019 15:11:13 -0700
From:   VDR User <user.vdr@...il.com>
To:     Heiner Kallweit <hkallweit1@...il.com>
Cc:     netdev@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: r8169 driver from kernel 5.0 crashing - napi_consume_skb

> > Unfortunately I have to report that the crashing has resurfaced. I'm
> > currently using kernel 5.0 with Heiner's fix applied. In the last few
> > days I've had the crash occur 4 times now. I'm not sure how to further
> > investigate this but I'm guessing a patch that adds more debugging
> > output will be needed to track down where exactly things go bad and
> > hopefully what exactly is triggering it? In 2 cases there was
> > bi-directional traffic, in the other 2 cases there was only incoming
> > traffic. In all cases the nic became unresponsive, all connections to
> > the box died/timed out. After roughly 10 minutes the nic came back to
> > life on its own without my intervention. The odd thing I noticed was
> > the dmesg log showing the problem only shows up once in dmesg instead
> > of 4 times to coincide with the 4 crashes/freezes. I don't think the
> > box reboot itself, and if it did then dmesg should be clean.
> >
> Instead of having to wait for the issue: Can you trigger it with iperf3
> in either direction?

I'm not familiar with iperf3 but installed it and looked up a quick
example. I started the iperf3 server on the server and then ran the
test on the client a bunch of times. And then also tried the test with
the `-d` bi-directional flag. I couldn't get the crash/freeze to
trigger though. Is there a certain command line I should run the test
with, or anything specific I should do?

-Derek