Date:   Tue, 16 Apr 2019 18:41:02 +0800
From:   Jason Wang <jasowang@...hat.com>
To:     Jesper Dangaard Brouer <brouer@...hat.com>,
        Björn Töpel <bjorn.topel@...el.com>
Cc:     Björn Töpel <bjorn.topel@...il.com>,
        ilias.apalodimas@...aro.org, toke@...hat.com,
        magnus.karlsson@...el.com, maciej.fijalkowski@...el.com,
        Alexei Starovoitov <ast@...com>,
        Daniel Borkmann <borkmann@...earbox.net>,
        Jakub Kicinski <jakub.kicinski@...ronome.com>,
        John Fastabend <john.fastabend@...il.com>,
        David Miller <davem@...emloft.net>,
        Andy Gospodarek <andy@...yhouse.net>,
        bpf@...r.kernel.org, Thomas Graf <tgraf@...g.ch>,
        Thomas Monjalon <thomas@...jalon.net>,
        "Michael S. Tsirkin" <mst@...hat.com>
Subject: Re: Per-queue XDP programs, thoughts

On 2019/4/16 上午12:32, Jesper Dangaard Brouer wrote:
>> XDP is something that we can attach to a netdevice. Again, very
>> natural from a user perspective. As for XDP sockets, the current
>> mechanism is that we attach to an existing netdevice queue. Ideally
>> what we'd like is to*remove*  the queue concept. A better approach
>> would be creating the socket and set it up -- but not binding it to a
>> queue. Instead just binding it to a netdevice (or crazier just
>> creating a socket without a netdevice).

Isn't XDP support for TUN/TAP just a good example of this. It hides the
all details and depends on XDP_REDIRECT to work. This allows the eBPF
program or other steering tool to do anything it want on host. You can
implement AF_XDP ring layout mmap for TUN/TAP or just use
vhost_net(virtio ring layout) instead.

Thanks