Date:   Wed, 8 May 2019 14:10:19 +0200
From:   Magnus Karlsson <magnus.karlsson@...il.com>
To:     Alexei Starovoitov <alexei.starovoitov@...il.com>
Cc:     Magnus Karlsson <magnus.karlsson@...el.com>,
        Björn Töpel <bjorn.topel@...el.com>,
        Daniel Borkmann <daniel@...earbox.net>,
        Network Development <netdev@...r.kernel.org>,
        bpf@...r.kernel.org, Jakub Kicinski <jakub.kicinski@...ronome.com>,
        Jonathan Lemon <bsd@...com>
Subject: Re: [RFC bpf-next 0/7] busy poll support for AF_XDP sockets

On Tue, May 7, 2019 at 8:24 PM Alexei Starovoitov
<alexei.starovoitov@...il.com> wrote:

> On Tue, May 07, 2019 at 01:51:45PM +0200, Magnus Karlsson wrote:
> > On Mon, May 6, 2019 at 6:33 PM Alexei Starovoitov
> > <alexei.starovoitov@...il.com> wrote:

> > > Not sure what you mean by 'extra core' .
> > > The above poll+rx_drop is executed for every af_xdp socket
> > > and there are N cpus processing exactly N af_xdp sockets.
> > > Where is 'extra core'?
> > > Are you suggesting a model where single core will be busy-polling
> > > all af_xdp sockets? and then waking processing threads?
> > > or single core will process all sockets?
> > > I think the af_xdp model should be flexible and allow easy out-of-the-box
> > > experience, but it should be optimized for 'ideal' user that
> > > does the-right-thing from max packet-per-second point of view.
> > > I thought we've already converged on the model where af_xdp hw rx queues
> > > bind one-to-one to af_xdp sockets and user space pins processing
> > > threads one-to-one to af_xdp sockets on corresponding cpus...
> > > If so that's the model to optimize for on the kernel side
> > > while keeping all other user configurations functional.

> > > I suspect separate rx kthreads of af_xdp socket processing is necessary
> > > with and without busy-poll exactly because of 'high load' case
> > > you've described.
> > > If we do this additional rx-kthread model why differentiate
> > > between busy-polling and polling?
> > >
> > > af_xdp rx queue is completely different form stack rx queue because
> > > of target dma address setup.
> > > Using stack's napi ksoftirqd threads for processing af_xdp queues creates
> > > the fairness issues. Isn't it better to have separate kthreads for them
> > > and let scheduler deal with fairness among af_xdp processing and stack?
> >
> > When using ordinary poll() on an AF_XDP socket, the application will
> > run on one core and the driver processing will run on another in
> > softirq/ksoftirqd context. (Either due to explicit core and irq
> > pinning or due to the scheduler or irqbalance moving the two threads
> > apart.) In AF_XDP busy-poll mode of this RFC, I would like the
> > application and the driver processing to occur on a single core, thus
> > there is no "extra" driver core involved that need to be taken into
> > account when sizing and/or provisioning the system. The napi context
> > is in this mode invoked from syscall context when executing the poll
> > syscall from the application.
> >
> > Executing the app and the driver on the same core could of course be
> > accomplished already today by pinning the application and the driver
> > interrupt to the same core, but that would not be that efficient due
> > to context switching between the two.
>
> Have you benchmarked it?
> I don't think context switch will be that noticable when kpti is off.
> napi processes 64 packets descriptors and switches back to user to
> do payload processing of these packets.
> I would think that the same job is on two different cores would be
> a bit more performant with user code consuming close to 100%
> and softirq is single digit %. Say it's 10%.
> [...]

Actually, it sounds remarkably sane :-). It will create something
quite similar to what I have been wanting, but you take it at least
two steps further. Did not think about introducing a separate kthread
as a potential solution, and the user space configuration of RSS (and
maybe other flow steering mechanisms) from AF_XDP Björn and I have
only been loosely talking about. Anyway, I am producing performance
numbers for the options that we have talked about. I will get back to
you with them as soon as I have them and we can continue the
discussions based on those.

Thanks: Magnus