Date:   Thu, 16 May 2019 10:47:35 -0400
From:   Willem de Bruijn <willemdebruijn.kernel@...il.com>
To:     Adam Urban <adam.urban@...leguru.org>
Cc:     Network Development <netdev@...r.kernel.org>
Subject: Re: Kernel UDP behavior with missing destinations

On Wed, May 15, 2019 at 3:57 PM Adam Urban <adam.urban@...leguru.org> wrote:

> We have an application where we are use sendmsg() to send (lots of)
> UDP packets to multiple destinations over a single socket, repeatedly,
> and at a pretty constant rate using IPv4.
>
> In some cases, some of these destinations are no longer present on the
> network, but we continue sending data to them anyways. The missing
> devices are usually a temporary situation, but can last for
> days/weeks/months.
>
> We are seeing an issue where packets sent even to destinations that
> are present on the network are getting dropped while the kernel
> performs arp updates.
>
> We see a -1 EAGAIN (Resource temporarily unavailable) return value
> from the sendmsg() call when this is happening:
>
> sendmsg(72, {msg_name(16)={sa_family=AF_INET, sin_port=htons(1234),
> sin_addr=inet_addr("10.1.2.3")}, msg_iov(1)=[{"\4\1"..., 96}],
> msg_controllen=0, msg_flags=0}, MSG_NOSIGNAL) = -1 EAGAIN (Resource
> temporarily unavailable)
>
> Looking at packet captures, during this time you see the kernel arping
> for the devices that aren't on the network, timing out, arping again,
> timing out, and then finally arping a 3rd time before setting the
> INCOMPLETE state again (very briefly being in a FAILED state).
>
> "Good" packets don't start going out again until the 3rd timeout
> happens, and then they go out for about 1s until the 3s delay from ARP
> happens again.
>
> Interestingly, this isn't an all or nothing situation. With only a few
> (2-3) devices missing, we don't run into this "blocking" situation and
> data always goes out. But once 4 or more devices are missing, it
> happens. Setting static ARP entries for the missing supplies, even if
> they are bogus, resolves the issue, but of course results in packets
> with a bogus destination going out on the wire instead of getting
> dropped by the kernel.
>
> Can anyone explain why this is happening? I have tried tuning the
> unres_qlen sysctl without effect and will next try to set the
> MSG_DONTWAIT socket option to try and see if that helps. But I want to
> make sure I understand what is going on.
>
> Are there any parameters we can tune so that UDP packets sent to
> INCOMPLETE destinations are immediately dropped? What's the best way
> to prevent a socket from being unavailable while arp operations are
> happening (assuming arp is the cause)?

Sounds like hitting SO_SNDBUF limit due to datagrams being held on the
neighbor queue. Especially since the issue occurs only as the number
of unreachable destinations exceeds some threshold. Does
/proc/net/stat/ndisc_cache show unresolved_discards? Increasing
unres_qlen may make matters only worse if more datagrams can get
queued. See also the branch on NUD_INCOMPLETE in __neigh_event_send.