Date:   Thu, 23 May 2019 15:06:11 -0500
From:   Bill Carlson <billcarlson@...s.org>
To:     Jay Vosburgh <jay.vosburgh@...onical.com>
Cc:     "netdev@...r.kernel.org" <netdev@...r.kernel.org>
Subject: Re: bonding-devel mail list?

On 5/23/19 11:46 AM, Jay Vosburgh wrote:
> As far as I'm aware, nesting bonds has no practical benefit; do
> you have a use case for doing so?

Use case is very specific, but needed in my situation until some
switches are stabilized.

Switches A1..Ax provide LACP, 40G. These are unstable, lose link on one
or more interfaces or drop completely. A single bond to the A switches
was acceptable at first, including when one interface was down for quite
a while. Then all A switches dropped.

Switches B1..Bx provide no LACP, 10G. These are sitting and connected
anyway, already in place for backup.

All are on the same layer two, as in any MAC is visible on any switch.

Goal is to use A switches primarily, and drop back to B _IF_ A are
completely down. As long as one interface is active on A, that will be used.

I assume LACP and active-passive can't be used in the same bond,
interested to hear if I'm wrong.

My setup I achieved:

bond0 -> switches B, multiple interfaces, active-passive
bond1 -> switches A, multiple interfaces, LACP
bond10 -> slaves bond0 and bond1, active-passive
Various VLANs are using bond10.

Options to bonding:

bond0: mode=1 fail_over_mac=none miimon=100
bond1: mode=4 lacp_rate=1 miimon=100
bond10: mode=1 fail_over_mac=1 primary=bond1 updelay=10000 miimon=100
(I should probably change to arp monitoring, I know.)

updelay in place because LACP takes a long time to link.
Making sure the MACs switched was the key.

Network performance tests via iperf3 look good, including when dropping
bond1. Unfortunately, target test system was on bond0, as its A switches
were down.

The only, critical, test I haven't been able to perform is physically
dropping A links, can't reach that far. :)

--

Bill Carlson

Anything is possible, given Time and Money.