Date:   Tue, 4 Jun 2019 19:46:05 +0200
From:   Arthur Skowronek <ags@...ineo.de>
To:     Netdev <netdev@...r.kernel.org>
Subject: gue6 bad checksums in udp header

Hello all,

it appears that there is an issue with the content of the checksum field
in udp packets which are transmitted through a gue encapsulated ipip
tunnel over ipv6.

I spent the past few days with experimenting around with the gue
encapsulation capabilities for ipip tunnels in the linux kernel. The
first system is running the version 4.14.121 from openwrt on an ubiquiti
edgerouter x and the second system is my workstation PC which is running
the linux kernel 4.19.47 and arch linux.

The gue feature on the edgerouter x seems to be broken though.  All
packets originating from this system have a bad UDP checksum.  Packets
coming from my workstation are fine though. I assume that the problem
lies somewhere in the kernel because all operations involving the ip
tunnel are handled in kernel and it doesn't seem like userspace is
involved at all. I don't think it's an exact issue with the embedded
device itself since other UDP packets which are sent over ipv6 are fine.
It seems to be an isolated issue with the gue implementation of the
kernel in combination with this device.

This is the script I use to set up the tunneling:

	# To be executed on the router
	export systemA='2a06:redacted::163'
	export systemB='2a06:redacted::21'

	ip fou add port 9191 gue -6
	ip link add name fou type ip6tnl \
	    remote "$systemB" local "$systemA" \
	    encap gue encap-dport 9191 encap-sport 9191 mode any
	ip link set up dev fou
	ip addr add 'fe80::1' dev fou

	# To be executed on the workstation
	export systemA='2a06:redacted::163'
	export systemB='2a06:redacted::21'

	ip fou add port 9191 gue -6
	ip link add name fou type ip6tnl \
	    remote "$systemA" local "$systemB" \
	    encap gue encap-dport 9191 encap-sport 9191 mode any
	ip link set up dev fou
	ip addr add 'fe80::2' dev fou

This works and the interfaces are allocated properly. When I try to ping
the workstation from the ERX device now it seems that the packets sent
by the router have the wrong UDP checksum though. This is taken from
wireshark:

	Internet Protocol Version 6, Src: 2a06:redacted::163, Dst:
2a06:redacted::21
	    0110 .... = Version: 6
	    .... 0000 0000 .... .... .... .... .... = Traffic Class: 0x00
(DSCP: CS0, ECN: Not-ECT)
	    .... .... .... 1101 0000 1111 0000 0001 = Flow Label: 0xd0f01
	    Payload Length: 124
	    Next Header: Destination Options for IPv6 (60)
	    Hop Limit: 64
	    Source: 2a06:redacted::163
	    Destination: 2a06:redacted::21
	    Destination Options for IPv6
		Next Header: UDP (17)
		Length: 0
		[Length: 8 bytes]
		Tunnel Encapsulation Limit
		PadN
	User Datagram Protocol, Src Port: 9191, Dst Port: 9191
	    Source Port: 9191
	    Destination Port: 9191
	    Length: 116
	    Checksum: 0x2272 incorrect, should be 0xec0d (maybe caused by "UDP
checksum offload"?)
	    [Checksum Status: Bad]
	    [Stream index: 69]
	    [Timestamps]
	Data (108 bytes)
	    Data: 00290000600d0f0100403a40fe8000000000000000000000…
	    [Length: 108]

Unfortunatelly I'm not particularly well versed in the internals of the
Linux networking code so it's a little bit difficult for me to debug the
problem in greater detail.  From what I can tell it seems like the the
checksum is only computed over the pseudo IP header, missing out the UDP
Header and the GUE header.  As far as I understand the documents
describing UDP in ip6 it seems that the checksum needs to be generated
over the entire payload for UDP in ip6 though.

I don't know how to solve this problem in a way that works nicely with
the checksum offloading capabilities in the kernel though.  I have no
experience in developing directly in the Linux kernel and this subsystem
looks really intimidating to me.  Any help in solving this problem would
be greatly appreciated.  Thank you very much.

Greetings,
Arthur Skowronek