Date:   Sun, 16 Jun 2019 11:51:58 +0300
From:   Nikolay Aleksandrov <nikolay@...ulusnetworks.com>
To:     Johannes Berg <johannes@...solutions.net>,
        Alexei Starovoitov <alexei.starovoitov@...il.com>
Cc:     netdev@...r.kernel.org, bridge@...ts.linux-foundation.org,
        roopa@...ulusnetworks.com, jhs@...atatu.com,
        David Ahern <dsahern@...il.com>,
        Zahari Doychev <zahari.doychev@...ux.com>,
        Simon Horman <simon.horman@...ronome.com>,
        Toshiaki Makita <makita.toshiaki@....ntt.co.jp>,
        Cong Wang <xiyou.wangcong@...il.com>,
        Jiri Pirko <jiri@...lanox.com>
Subject: Re: VLAN tags in mac_len

On 15/06/2019 22:19, Johannes Berg wrote:
> [...]
>> is kernel's definition of the length of L2 header.
>
> I think we're getting to something here now. I actually thought about
> this some more last night, and basically asked myself how I would design
> it without all the legacy baggage.
>
> I'm certainly not suggesting we should change anything here, but to me
> it was a bit of a clarification to do this and then see where we differ
> in our handling today.
>
> Thinking along those lines, I sort of ended up with the following scheme
> (just for the skb head, not the frags/fraglist):
>
>           +------------------+----------------+---------------+
>  headroom | eth | vlan | ... | IP  | TCP      | payload       | tailroom
>           +------------------+----------------+---------------+
> ^ skb->head_ptr
>           ^ skb->l2_ptr
>                              ^ skb->l3_ptr == skb->l2_ptr + skb->l2_len
>                                               ^ skb->payload_ptr
>                                                               ^ skb->tail
>
> Now, I deliberately didn't put any "skb->data" here, because what we do
> today is sort of confusing.
>
> By getting rid of the "multi-use" skb->data in this scheme I think it
> becomes clearer to think about.
>

> On *egress*, all we really care about is this:
>
>           +------------------+----------------+---------------+
>  headroom | eth | vlan | ... | IP / TCP       | payload       | tailroom
>           +------------------+----------------+---------------+
>
> ^ skb->data
>                                          skb->data + skb->len
> ^
>
> On *ingress*, however, we hide some of the data (temporarily):
>
> |--------- headroom ---------|
>           +------------------+----------------+---------------+
>           | eth | vlan | ... | IP / TCP       | payload       | tailroom
>           +------------------+----------------+---------------+
>           ^ skb->data - skb->mac_len
>                              ^ skb->data
>                                          skb->data + skb->len ^
>
> which is somewhat confusing to me, and sort of causes all these
> problems.
>
> (It also makes it harder to reason about what data is actually valid in
> the skb, although if mac_len is non-zero then it must be, but it means
> you actually have less headroom and all).
>
> If instead we just made it like the hypothetical scheme I outlined
> above, then on traversing a layer we'd set the next layer pointer
> appropriately, and then each layer would just use the right pointer:
>
>  * bridge/ethernet driver/... would use l2_ptr
>  * IP would use the l3_ptr
>  * TCP would use the l4_ptr (didn't put that into the picture)
>  * ...
>
> Now we wouldn't have a problem with the VLAN tags, because we'd just
> appropriate set/keep all the pointers - bridge doesn't even care where
> l3_ptr is pointing, but for IP it would of course point to beyond the
> VLAN tags.
>
> (Now, if you wanted to implement this, you probably wouldn't have l2_ptr
> but l2_offset etc. but that's an implementation detail.)

I do like the scheme outlined above, it makes it easier to reason about
all of this, but obviously it'd require quite some changes.

> Now, why am I writing all this? Because I think it points out that
> you're absolutely right - we should treat mac_len as part of the frame
> if we're in anything that cares about L2 like bridge.
>
>> Now as far as bridge... I think it's unfortunate that linux
>> adopted 'vlan' as a netdevice model and that's where I think
>> the problem is.
>
> I'm not sure. I don't exactly know where the problem is if we fix bridge
> according to the patch (1) above, which, btw, was discussed before:
> https://lore.kernel.org/netdev/20190113135939.8970-1-zahari.doychev@linux.com/
>
> Back then, Nikolay (whom I forgot to CC, fixed now) said:
>
>> It breaks connectivity between bridge and
>> members when vlans are used. The host generated packets going out of the bridge
>> have mac_len = 0.
>
> Which probably indicates that we're not even consistent with the egress
> scheme I pointed out above, probably because we *also* have
> hard_header_len?

IIRC, mac_len is only set on Rx, while on Tx it usually isn't. More below.

> Maybe somewhere early in the egress path we should set skb->mac_len to
> dev->hard_header_len, and then use skb->mac_len consistently, and
> consider that part of the skb (and not arbitrarily consider ETH_HLEN to
> be part of the skb in bridge).
>
> (This almost tempts me to actually try to implement the hypothetical SKB
> scheme I described above, just so it's easier to understand what part
> does what ... and to find where the issues like this occur)

Interesting idea.

>> Typical bridge in the networking industry is a device that
>> does forwarding based on L2. Which includes vlans.
>> And imo that's the most appropriate way of configuring and thinking
>> about bridge functionality.
>> Whereas in the kernel there is a 'vlan' netdevice that 'eats'
>> vlan tag and pretends that the rest is the same.
>> So linux bridge kinda doesn't need to be vlan aware.
>> CONFIG_BRIDGE_VLAN_FILTERING was the right step, but I haven't
>> seen it being used and I'm not sure about state of things there.
>
> I think that ends up being a question of semantics. You can consider an
> "industry bridge" that you describe to be a combination of VLAN and
> bridge netdevs, and so it's just a question of what exactly you consider
> a "bridge" - does it have to be a single netdev or not.
>
>> So your option 1 above is imo the best. The bridge needs to deal
>> with skb->mac_len and full L2 header.
>
> Yeah, I guess. We're back to square 1 ;-)
>
> I'm not even sure I understand the bug that Nikolay described, because
> br_dev_xmit() does:
>
>         skb_reset_mac_header(skb);
>         eth = eth_hdr(skb);
>         skb_pull(skb, ETH_HLEN);
>
> so after this we *do* end up with an SKB that has mac_len == ETH_HLEN,
> if it was transmitted out the bridge netdev itself, and thus how would
> the bug happen?

I said *mac_len*. :) The above sets mac_header, at that point you'll have
the following values: mac_len = 0, mac_header_len = 14 (skb_mac_header_len
uses network_header - mac_header which is set there), but that is easy
to overcome and if you do go down the path of consistently using and updating
mac_len it should work.

Cheers,
 Nik