Date:   Fri, 21 Jun 2019 17:29:52 -0400
From:   Vivien Didelot <vivien.didelot@...il.com>
To:     Florian Fainelli <f.fainelli@...il.com>
Cc:     netdev@...r.kernel.org, idosch@...lanox.com,
        Jiri Pirko <jiri@...nulli.us>, linux@...linux.org.uk,
        andrew@...n.ch, davem@...emloft.net
Subject: Re: [RFC net-next] net: dsa: add support for MC_DISABLED attribute

On Thu, 20 Jun 2019 19:24:47 -0700, Florian Fainelli <f.fainelli@...il.com> wrote:
> > This patch adds support for enabling or disabling the flooding of
> > unknown multicast traffic on the CPU ports, depending on the value
> > of the switchdev SWITCHDEV_ATTR_ID_BRIDGE_MC_DISABLED attribute.
> >
> > This allows the user to prevent the CPU to be flooded with a lot of
> > undesirable traffic that the network stack needs to filter in software.
> >
> > The bridge has multicast snooping enabled by default, hence CPU ports
> > aren't bottlenecked with arbitrary network applications anymore.
> > But this can be an issue in some scenarios such as pinging the bridge's
> > IPv6 address. Setting /sys/class/net/br0/bridge/multicast_snooping to
> > 0 would restore unknown multicast flooding and thus fix ICMPv6. As
> > an alternative, enabling multicast_querier would program the bridge
> > address into the switch.
> From what I can read from mlxsw, we should probably also implement the
> SWITCHDEV_ATTR_ID_PORT_MROUTER attribute in order to be consistent.
>
> Since the attribute MC_DISABLED is on the bridge master, we should also
> iterate over the list of switch ports being a member of that bridge and
> change their flooding attribute, taking into account whether
> BR_MCAST_FLOOD is set on that particular port or not. Just paraphrasing
> what mlxsw does here again...

Ouch, doesn't sound like what a driver should be doing :-(

Ido, I cannot find documentation for multicast_snooping or MC_DISABLED
and the naming isn't clear. Can this be considered as an equivalent
of mcast_flood but targeting the bridge device itself, describing
whether the bridge is interested or not in unknown multicast traffic?

> Once you act on the user-facing ports, you might be able to leave the
> CPU port flooding unconditionally, since it would only "flood" the CPU
> port either because an user-facing port has BR_MCAST_FLOOD set, or
> because this is known MC traffic that got programmed via the bridge's
> MDB. Would that work?

You may want the machine or network connected behind a bridge port
to be flooded with unknown multicast traffic, without having the
CPU conduit clogged up with this traffic. So these are two distinct
settings for me.

The only scenario I can think of needing the CPU to be flooded is if
there's a non-DSA port in the bridge maybe. But IMHO this should be
handled by the bridge, offloading or not the appropriate attribute.

> On a higher level, I really wish we did not have to re-implement a lot
> of identical or similar logic in each switch drivers and had a more
> central model of what is behaviorally expected.

I couldn't agree more, ethernet switch drivers should only offload
the notified bridge configuration, not noodling their own logic...

Russell, Ido, Florian, so far I understand that a multicast-unaware
bridge must flood unknown traffic everywhere (CPU included);
and a multicast-aware bridge must only flood its ports if their
mcast_flood is on, and known traffic targeting the bridge must be
offloaded accordingly. Do you guys agree with this?

Thanks,
Vivien