Date:   Sun, 30 Jun 2019 23:44:00 +0200
From:   Karsten Wiborg <karsten.wiborg@....de>
To:     Andrew Lunn <andrew@...n.ch>
Cc:     Heiner Kallweit <hkallweit1@...il.com>, nic_swsd@...ltek.com,
        romieu@...zoreil.com, netdev@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: r8169 not working on 5.2.0rc6 with GPD MicroPC

Hi Andrew,

On 30/06/2019 19:56, Andrew Lunn wrote:
> 0x6e = 0110 1110b. Bit 1 is the Locally Administered bit. Meaning this
> is not an MAC address from a vendor pool, but one generated locally.
>
> http://www.noah.org/wiki/MAC_address
Didn't know that. Thanks for pointing that out.

> If linux were to generate a random MAC address it would also set bit
> 1.
>
> What is interesting is that you say you get the same value each
> time. So it most either be stored somewhere, or it is generated from
> something, the board serial number, etc.
Hmm, maybe I did make a mistake. Yes I just again got the same MAC
address again but the last poweron/offs were done with Hibernating where
I got the same IP-address with the same MAC.

Anyway I just did a complete Power-Off (shutdown) and I still got the
same MAC address and because of that the intended IP address.

I just naively did a recursive grep in /etc trying to find the MAC since
you implied that it has to be stored somewhere.
Also went through the AMI BIOS (Aptio Setup Utility) and couldn't find
anything related there. Only network-related setting seems to be:
"Network Stack Driver Support" which by default is disable. Other that
that it might of course be stored somewhere within the UEFI NVRAM.

Regards,
Karsten

Download attachment "smime.p7s" of type "application/pkcs7-signature" (4156 bytes)