Date:   Mon, 1 Jul 2019 20:37:24 +0300
From:   Nikolay Aleksandrov <nikolay@...ulusnetworks.com>
To:     Martin Weinelt <martin@...uxlounge.net>,
        bridge@...ts.linux-foundation.org,
        Roopa Prabhu <roopa@...ulusnetworks.com>
Cc:     netdev@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: Use-after-free in br_multicast_rcv

Hi again,
On 01/07/2019 20:31, Martin Weinelt wrote:
> Hi Nik,
>
> On 7/1/19 7:03 PM, Nikolay Aleksandrov wrote:
>> Hi Martin,
>>
>> On 01/07/2019 19:53, Martin Weinelt wrote:
>>> Hi Nik,
>>>
>>> more info below.

>>> Each server is a KVM Guest and has 18 bridges with the same master/slave
>>> relationships:
>>>
>>>   bridge -> batman-adv -> {l2 tunnel, virtio device}
>>>
>>> Linus Lüssing from the batman-adv asked me to apply this patch to help
>>> debugging.
>>>
>>> v5.2-rc6-170-g728254541ebc with this patch yielded the following KASAN
>>> report, not sure if the additional information at the end is a result of
>>> the added patch though.
>>>
>>> Best,
>>>   Martin
>>>

>> I see a couple of issues that can cause out-of-bounds accesses in br_multicast.c
>> more specifically there're pskb_may_pull calls and accesses to stale skb pointers.
>> I've had these on my "to fix" list for some time now, will prepare, test the fixes and
>> send them for review. In a few minutes I'll send a test patch for you.
>> That being said, I thought you said you've been experiencing memory leaks, but below
>> reports are for out-of-bounds accesses, could you please clarify if you were
>> speaking about these or is there another issue as well ?
>> If you're experiencing memory leaks, are you sure they're related to the bridge ?
>> You could try kmemleak for those.
>>
>> Thank you,
>>  Nik
>>

> we had been experiencing memory leaks on v4.19.37, thats why we started to turn on
> KASAN and kmemleak in the first place. This is when we found this use-after-free.
>
> The memory leak exists, and is a separate issue. Apparently kmemleak does not work,
> I suspect the early log size is too small
>
> root@...2:~# echo scan > /sys/kernel/debug/kmemleak                                                                                                                                                                                 -bash: echo: write error: Device or resource busy
>
> CONFIG_HAVE_DEBUG_KMEMLEAK=y
> CONFIG_DEBUG_KMEMLEAK=y
> CONFIG_DEBUG_KMEMLEAK_EARLY_LOG_SIZE=400
> # CONFIG_DEBUG_KMEMLEAK_TEST is not set
> # CONFIG_DEBUG_KMEMLEAK_DEFAULT_OFF is not set
> CONFIG_DEBUG_KMEMLEAK_AUTO_SCAN=y
>
> I'll increase the early log size with the next build to try and get more information
> on the memory leak, I'll open a separate thread for that then.
>
> Thanks,
>   Martin

I see, thanks for clarifying this. So on the KASAN could you please try the attached patch ?
Also could you please run the br_multicast_rcv+xxx addresses through
linux/scripts/faddr2line for your kernel/bridge:
usage: faddr2line [--list] <object file> <func+offset> <func+offset>...

Thanks,
 Nik

View attachment "0001-net-bridge-mcast-fix-possible-uses-of-stale-pointers.patch" of type "text/x-patch" (3444 bytes)