Date:   Fri, 12 Jul 2019 08:51:55 -0400
From:   "Brian J. Murrell" <brian@...erlinx.bc.ca>
To:     netdev@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: bonded active-backup ethernet-wifi drops packets

On Fri, 2019-07-05 at 17:46 -0700, Jay Vosburgh wrote:

> 	I did set this up and test it, but haven't had time to analyze
> in depth.
>
> 	What I saw was that ping (IPv4) flood worked fine, bonded or
> not, over a span of several hours.

Interesting.  In contrast to my experience.

> However, ping6 showed small numbers
> of drops on a ping6 flood when bonded, on the order of 200 drops out
> of
> 48,000,000 requests sent.

I wonder if that's indicative of what I'm seeing.  Strange that you
only see it on IPv6 though.  I'm seeing it on IPv4.

> Zero losses when no bond in the stack.

That's what I see for IPv4.

> Both
> tests to the same peer connected to the same switch.

Ditto.

> All of the above
> with the bond using the Ethernet slave.

Also ditto.  Wifi introduces latencies (at least) which mask the
underlying issue.

> I haven't tracked down where
> those losses are occurring, so I don't know if it's on the transmit
> or
> receive sides (or both).

Personally, I suspect it's on the receive.  I suspect the host I am
testing from sends the ICMP echo requests just fine.  It's just not
getting the ICMP echo responses back.

Any ideas on further avenues to debugging this?

Cheers,
b.

Download attachment "signature.asc" of type "application/pgp-signature" (489 bytes)