Date:   Wed, 14 Aug 2019 13:18:27 -0700
From:   Andrii Nakryiko <andrii.nakryiko@...il.com>
To:     Quentin Monnet <quentin.monnet@...ronome.com>
Cc:     Alexei Starovoitov <alexei.starovoitov@...il.com>,
        Edward Cree <ecree@...arflare.com>,
        Alexei Starovoitov <ast@...nel.org>,
        Daniel Borkmann <daniel@...earbox.net>,
        bpf <bpf@...r.kernel.org>,
        Network Development <netdev@...r.kernel.org>,
        oss-drivers@...ronome.com
Subject: Re: [RFC bpf-next 0/3] tools: bpftool: add subcommand to count map entries

On Wed, Aug 14, 2019 at 10:12 AM Quentin Monnet
<quentin.monnet@...ronome.com> wrote:

> <alexei.starovoitov@...il.com>

> >> This might be a really dumb suggestion, but: you're wanting to collect a
> >>  summary statistic over an in-kernel data structure in a single syscall,
> >>  because making a series of syscalls to examine every entry is slow and
> >>  racy.  Isn't that exactly a job for an in-kernel virtual machine, and
> >>  could you not supply an eBPF program which the kernel runs on each entry
> >>  in the map, thus supporting people who want to calculate something else
> >>  (mean, min and max, whatever) instead of count?
> >
> > Pretty much my suggestion as well :)

I also support the suggestion to count it from BPF side. It's flexible
and powerful approach and doesn't require adding more and more nuanced
sub-APIs to kernel to support subset of bulk operations on map
(subset, because we'll expose count, but what about, e.g., p50, etc,
there will always be something more that someone will want and it just
doesn't scale).

> > It seems the better fix for your nat threshold is to keep count of
> > elements in the map in a separate global variable that
> > bpf program manually increments and decrements.
> > bpftool will dump it just as regular map of single element.
> > (I believe it doesn't recognize global variables properly yet)
> > and BTF will be there to pick exactly that 'count' variable.
> >

> It would be with an offloaded map, but yes, I suppose we could keep
> track of the numbers in a separate map. We'll have a look into this.

See if you can use a global variable, that way you completely
eliminate any overhead from BPF side of things, except for atomic
increment.